Illumina is looking for a highly motivated, energetic individual that is creative and strategic with a drive to deliver results in a fast-paced innovative space. This attorney joins a dynamic legal team and will be the legal advisor and strategist for product development projects and related portfolios. Responsibilities include capturing inventions, building enforceable global patent portfolios as well as setting and advising on IP strategy to create long term business value. Location will be Illumina’s San Diego Headquarters.
• Prepares and prosecutes global patent applications.
• Develops and executes against a forward looking IP strategy for projects and portfolios in line with company business goals.
• Collaborates within and across business units to identify and capture high value innovation.
• Cost-effectively manages high quality patent prosecution work by outside counsel in the US and abroad.
• Effectively partners with product development teams to shape IP strategy for product offering.
• Provides value/risk assessment on third party IP estates and/or landscapes for collaborations, consortiums and other third party complex agreements.
• Contributes to intellectual property assessments in mergers, acquisitions and investments.
• Works strategically and collaboratively with IP litigation team.
• Contributes to educational efforts across business on best practices for IP and other legal matters.
• Drives operational excellence within legal and across the business.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
• 4+ years of patent prosecution experience required.
• Top tier law firm experience strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated strong strategic and analytical thinking.
• Experience with global patent prosecution, patent appeals, re-examination, re-issue, inter partes reviews proceedings, and litigation is a plus.
• Proven track record as team player with strong work ethic.
• Clear and flexible communication skills.
• Able to adapt and iterate seamlessly in a fast-paced environment.
• Approaches life with a ‘can do’ attitude.
• Exemplifies highest ethical standards.
• Technical degree required in chemistry, life sciences, engineering, material sciences, or related field.
• Advanced technical degree (Masters or Doctorate) in the above disciplines strongly preferred.
• U.S. Law degree and license required.
• USPTO Registration Number required.
• Knowledge of genetics and other biological sciences is beneficial.
EOE / Minorities / Females / Veterans / Disabled
To apply, please email Nathalie Becker at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: San Diego, California
Headquartered in San Diego, California, Illumina (NASDAQ: ILMN), is a leading developer, manufacturer, and marketer of next generation life science tools and integrated systems for large-scale analysis of genetic variation and biological function. These systems are enabling studies that were not even imaginable just a few years ago, and moving us closer to the realization of personalized medicine. With the innovative advances in our sequencing technologies, we are rapidly impacting the clinical market in areas such as reproductive health and oncology. The expanding Illumina oncology portfolio of next- generation sequencing NGS and microarray technologies is revolutionizing cancer genomics research. Our customers include a broad range of academic, government, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and other leading institutions around the globe. For more information on us, please visit our website.