Hal Wegner has released his top ten upcoming cases for 2008:
- Quanta v. LG – Patent “Exhaustion”
- McFarling – Patent “Exhaustion”
- Kubin – Biotech Obviousness; Enzo Disclosure
- Classen v. Biogen – “Metabolite déjà vu”
- Convolve v. Seagate – Petition from In re Seagate
- Bilski – Patent-Eligibility under § 101
- Sanofi-Synthelabo – The Plavix Case
- Sang Su Lee II – Post-KSR Motivation
- Ferguson – Method of Marketing a Product
- Barnett – Internet-driven Method
Hal Wegner’s list focuses on utility patent litigation. I would add three other cases from a slightly different vein:
- Tafas v. Dudas – Challenging the PTO’s power to implement rules limiting continuations and claims. (summary judgment briefs filed).
- Egyptian Goddess v. Swisa – Redefining the meaning of infringement and claim construction for design patents. (rehearing en banc pending).
- Bender v. Dudas – Challenging the PTO’s ability to regulate patent attorney business relationships that go beyond ‘practice before the office.’ (on petition for certiorari).