This year I gave a very straightforward patent law exam that was worth 30% of the student grade. The remaining 70% was based upon a series of graded projects during the semester that included drafting claims, drafting office action rejections; drafting responses to rejections; problem sets; case summaries; briefing a mock-appeal; and holding oral arguments in our 3rd Annual Patent Law Moot Court at the University of Missouri. – Dennis
= = = = =
2. Bob’s patent application is directed to a replicating in vitro cell culture of human embryonic stem cells capable of living without differentiation on a fibroblast feeder layer. Is the application subject-matter eligible? (100 words)
3. Referring back to Bob’s application, it turns out that Bob came up with a working model of the invention and then waited 11-months to file his patent application. Meanwhile, about six-months before Bob filed his application Cindy independently created a replicating in vitro cell culture of pig embryonic stem cells capable of living without differentiation on a fibroblast feeder layer. Cindy immediately published her work in Science magazine. Identify three additional facts that would help you know whether Cindy’s publication counts as prior art against Bob's pending patent application and indicate the relevance of those facts. (100 words).
4. Referring back to Bob’s application and Assuming that Cindy’s publication counts as prior art under 35 U.S.C. 102(a), what is the most likely reason why the Bob’s application would be rejected as unpatentable? (20 words).