Michael Best & Friedrich LLP is seeking a Junior to Midlevel Associate or Patent Agent to join the Life Sciences subgroup of the Intellectual Property practice group. This position will work out of one of our Chicago, Salt Lake City, Wisconsin, or North Carolina offices.
The Agent or Attorney must have 2+ years of patent prosecution experience at a firm or in-house, and the ability to draft patent applications is a must. The ideal candidate will hold a degree or Ph.D. in Chemistry or Organic Chemistry, or a B.S. in Chemical Engineering. Admission to the USPTO is preferred. The candidate must excel in a team environment and be a highly-motivated self-starter with excellent business judgment, the ability to communicate clearly with clients, and the flexibility to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
This is an opportunity to work with the Best. We are Michael Best & Friedrich, LLP. We are a full-service law firm with more than 350 lawyers and technical professionals who work in collaborative, interdisciplinary practices to serve clients around the world.
We work with companies in all kinds of industries, as well as trade associations, nonprofits, educational institutions, governments, family trusts, and high-net-worth individuals. Since our firm’s founding in 1848, we’ve continuously evolved to meet our clients’ changing needs and expectations. One thing remains the same: For generations, clients have relied on Michael Best for exceptional legal service and business acumen.
We have offices in Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Madison, Manitowoc, Waukesha); Illinois (Chicago); Utah (Cottonwood Heights, Salt Lake City); Colorado (Denver, Broomfield); Texas (Austin); North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington); and Washington D.C. Our contemporary offices spaces are ideal for concentration and collaboration supporting our culture of working together to make great things happen for our Clients. This position is available in our Chicago, Salt Lake City, Wisconsin, or North Carolina offices.
Knowledge Base & Education:
- At least 2 years of in-house or law firm patent prosecution experience
- Degree in Chemical Engineering (B.S.), Chemistry (Ph.D.), and/or Organic Chemistry (Ph.D)
- Admission to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Excellent academic credentials
- Ability to learn and embrace new skills and best practices as the position evolves and Firm needs change
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to develop relationships and foster teamwork at all levels of the Firm
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse group of internal and external clients, attorneys, and staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage confidential information and sensitive situations with tact and discretion
Problem Solving Skills:
- Ability and confidence to identify and analyze issues, make decisions, and initiate actions/solutions
- Agility to respond to unexpected challenges, including proactively developing innovative solutions to complex problems while maintaining a professional demeanor
- Ability to maintain composure and demonstrate good judgment
- Valid authorization to work in the U.S.
Why You Should Apply:
At Michael Best, we are proud to offer a comprehensive and competitive Total Rewards package that provides a variety of resources designed to enhance its employees’ overall well-being, both at work and at home. Competitive base pay, outstanding benefits, opportunities for learning and growth, programs designed to help you plan for the future, and perks that inspire your downtime are all part of our total compensation package.
Learning and Growth:
- Challenging and Dynamic Role
- Career Development Planning
- Professional Growth Opportunities
- Performance Management and Coaching
- Specialized Training Programs
- Mentorship Program
- Bar Exam/Bar Review Course Reimbursement
Health & Wellness
- Vision Care
- Health Savings Accounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Wellness Program
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Competitive Base Pay
- Outstanding Benefits
- Unlimited PTO Plus 10 Paid Holidays
- Performance Recognition
- ABA, State and Local Bar Membership Fee Reimbursement
Planning for the Future:
- 401(k) with Company Contribution
- Short Term Disability Plan
- Long Term Disability Plan
- Life Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Parental/Family Leave
Culture and Workplace:
- Respected Organization with Collaborative Culture
- Growing Firm with an Exciting Future
- Healthy Work-Life Balance
- Flexible Remote Work Policy (Ability to work remote up to 2.5 days per week)
- Contemporary Work Environment
- Positive and Respectful Work Climate
To be considered for this position, please submit an application via our online portal.
Michael Best & Friedrich LLP, Michael Best Strategies LLC, and Michael Best Consulting LLC (collectively known as "Michael Best") are steadfastly committed to providing equal employment opportunity and maintaining a workplace for employees and applicants for employment that is free from discrimination based upon age, race, religion, color, disability, marital status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact our Recruiting team at 414.225.4999 or firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit an application using the following link: https://lawcruit.micronapps.com/sup/JobPostingDetails.aspx?lawfirm=MiUyNTVFSms=&JobId=MW4lM2FuMCU0MA==&at=OF9DRw==
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Chicago, IL; Salt Lake City, UT; Milwaukee, Madison, Waukesha, WI; or Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, NC