Aspen Aerogels Inc. is seeking a patent attorney with at least 5 years of experience in patent preparation and prosecution. The patent attorney will be responsible for helping the company articulate and implement optimum Intellectual Property strategies and will be a critical member of the legal team supporting the innovation oriented technology company. Key attributes include a solid patent law background, self-drive and established success in patent portfolio creation and management in a collaborative environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify and articulate IP opportunities in the Company’s R&D, Process and Product
- Development and other business functions, and assist in implementing the IP strategy
- Perform prior art searches, articulate patentability, prepare, file and prosecute patent applications at the USPTO
- Identify IP issues and advise on appropriate responses to third party actions, including performing relevant FTO analyses
- Manage foreign patent and trademark procurement activities
- Effective use patent/trademark databases to navigate the IP work flow along with support staff
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure an appropriate IP protection in different business activities
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or natural sciences (preferably in materials, chemistry or chemical engineering); Master’s degree is a plus, but not required
- JD from a recognized US law school and an active State bar admission
- USPTO registration is required
- 5 plus years patent procurement experience in a law firm or in-house environment
- IP related transactional practice
- Experience managing foreign patent portfolio
- Exposure to trademark issues
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- Demonstrated ability to articulate complex technical/legal analysis and arguments orally and in writing.
- Proactive approach to problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive on challenges and react promptly and positively to a fast-paced work culture.
- Current knowledge of substantive and procedural requirements for filings (including electronic) with the USPTO and PCT practice.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability collaborate across the company and with outside and foreign counsel to produce tangible results.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage and drive projects and tasks with high attention to detail.
- Must be able to work in a demanding environment with shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrates high integrity and strong work ethic.
To apply, please visit this website and submit your resume and cover letter: https://www.aerogel.com/.
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: Northborough, Massachusetts