Harrity & Harrity, LLP is looking for remote, local, or reduced hours patent professionals to prosecute patent applications for leading global technology companies, including numerous Fortune 500 companies. Candidates must have excellent writing and communication skills, and a degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or equivalent fields is required. Candidates must possess an in depth grasp of wireless communications (e.g., LTE, WCDMA, 3GPP).
Patent attorney with 15 years experience, looking for 1-2 partners to start new IP law firm in Alexandria, VA. My background is chemical, and my work has been mainly in the area of patent application preparation and prosecution, with some opinion work and some trademark work.
You must be ready to start in the next 3-4 months, and you must have enough work to keep you busy, at least in the short term. Electrical and mechanical engineers are preferred.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Clairvolex, a rapidly growing IP asset management company that helps global IP owners build smart patent portfolios, is looking for a US patent attorney/well-experienced patent agent for an expat role at its global delivery center near New Delhi, India.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing, training, and mentoring our team of patent agents on various prosecution and portfolio management activities. Quality oversight, development and compliance of portfolio development guidelines, customer communications, team-efficiency, process development are also key responsibilities of the role.
Eligible candidates include qualified USPTO-admitted patent attorneys or patent agents with 8+ years of experience preparing, prosecuting, and managing patent portfolios in hi-tech industries (telecommunications, semiconductors or enterprise software). Although not required, prior in-house experience as patent counsel will be an added advantage.
The role carries attractive remuneration commensurate to an overseas assignment and other benefits. Upon completion of two years in the expat role at our India delivery center, the candidate will have the option to relocate to one of Clairvolex’s offices in the United States (Silicon Valley, Philadelphia, or Salt Lake City).
This position will be responsible for patent prosecution oversight in general, and more specifically supervision and quality control of the production of U.S. and EPO office action responses. Manage outside counsels for legal functions connected with filing office action responses, Examiner interviews and legal steps relative to allowance. The person will hands-on coach, train and mentor engineers in all aspects of US patent preparation and prosecution, and in particular the following:
A. Quality Oversight and Team Mentoring
- Review and quality control responses to offices actions issued by USPTO and drafted by the Patent Engineers.
- Wherever necessary, and in complex cases, hands-on draft office action responses.
- Responsible for instructing the US outside counsels in regard to filing response to office actions, Examiner interviews, preparing and filing continuations, and matters connected with prosecution of US patent applications until grant.
- In conjunction with the European Outside Counsels, review and supervise the responses to office actions issued by the EPO and drafted by the Patent Engineers.
- Train, coach and mentor patent engineers to write high quality office action responses.
- Offer technical support, subject matter expertise and portfolio development strategy advice to the team.
- Develop training materials and offer training to Clairvolex employees, and patent engineers in particular.
- Support through rendering subject matter expertise to the IPMS (IP Management Service) team – a large group of paralegals handling a variety of functions for multiple large in-house corporate IP operations.
B. Business Support & Client Relationship
- Responsible for customer relations management relative to prosecution functions.
- When required travel to client facilities for on-site reviews.
- When required attend potential customer meetings and reviews.
- Contribute to CLRC (Clairvolex Learning & Research Center) occasional articles, research papers and/or research in-put (not-mandatory).
- Provide business support including by offering online presentations, attending conference calls to render presentations on service lines and related processes, making client specific proposals, obtaining client references (if and when specifically required) and providing case studies.
If interested, please apply with a copy of your resume and a cover letter addressed to: Abha Jaiswal Head, Global Talent Acquisition Clairvolex email@example.com
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: New Delhi, India and Silicon Valley, California; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; or Salt Lake City, Utah
The Palo Alto office of Baker Botts L.L.P.is currently seeking a Patent Agent with 1-5 years of experience. Candidates must have at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering. Industry experience in those fields a plus, but not required.
Excellent academic credentials, experience writing patent applications and a license to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office are a must.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicate with, and act as liaison between, inventors and Patent & Trademark Office in connection with all aspects of patent application process.
- Evaluate and report on the technological aspects of inventions and other scientific matters. Advise attorneys on general and specific technologies and investigate those technologies as needed.
- Prepare draft patent applications in particular incorporating scientific aspects of inventions.
- Prepare draft responses to communications from U.S. and foreign patent offices with regard to factual and other scientific matters.
- Discuss the scientific aspects of inventions with clients and inventors and thereafter provide attorneys with a report on those discussions.
- Draft, organize, analyze, review and summarize documents.
- Review and analyze client and other files.
- Conduct regulatory and factual research.
- Communicate face-to-face, by e-mail and by telephone with staff, clients, vendors, and PTO and agency personnel.
- Coordinate workflow with outside service providers.
- Organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Identify and analyze complex patent issues and problems and implement solutions.
- Interact professionally with clients, lawyers, and employees at all levels and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact while safeguarding confidentiality.
- Provide direction and guidance to legal support staff on specific issues, as appropriate.
- Stay abreast of technology trends and make recommendations regarding technology needs.
- Undertake continuing education, and remain abreast of current patent prosecution issues and trends, as required to maintain appropriate accreditation in the field.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Ability to work well with internal and external clients;
- Strong aptitude of working with the USPTO;
- Strong organizational skills, problem solving skills and attention to detail;
- Customer service focused and;
- Excellent strategic planning and organizational skills.
Knowledge and Skills
- Advanced working knowledge of database research principles, methods, techniques, and resources.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and draw inferences from research findings, and prepare reports.
- Ability to provide operational guidance and leadership to technical staff in area of specialty.
- Strong investigative and problem resolution skills.
- Knowledge of principles, procedures, and standards for drafting a range of complex patent documentation in area of expertise.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex factual, technical information.
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of current and emerging developments and trends within area of expertise.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to learn and capably use various software packages.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Knowledge of and use of time management and project management strategies.
- Ability to facilitate individual and group meetings.
- Ability to understand and comply with confidentiality issues and ethical responsibilities
- Ability to travel to private and public buildings via private or public conveyance to assist in attending to client needs on legal matters.
- Within the resident office, there is daily contact with partners, associates, paralegals, and office personnel at all levels. There is a moderate amount of contact with these same groups in other offices.
- Outside the Firm, there is a moderate amount of contact with clients, vendor representatives and agency personnel.
Baker Botts is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. No recruiters or personal calls. Apply online at: http://www.bakerbotts.com/careers/professional-staff/staff.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Palo Alto, California
The Innovation Practice Center Executive Director/Intellectual Property Faculty hire will be hired within the University of Akron School of Law. This is either a tenure track or tenured position depending upon the candidate’s qualifications. The secondary appointment for the incumbent will most likely be within the College of Business Administration but may be within the College of Engineering. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
This is a key leadership position in connection with the creation of an Innovation Practice Center (IPC) at The University of Akron. The incumbent is responsible for the coordination and operation of all aspects of the IPC.
In coordination with the School of Law Dean, School of Law, College of Business Administration and other University faculty and IPC faculty the incumbent will engage in relevant scholarship on the innovation process, teach courses in the general area of the relationship of intellectual property, innovation, entrepreneurship, and commercialization, and provide appropriate service to the university community. For each of the first two years, the incumbent will teach a 50% course load within the area of hire, that is, the teaching load for the incumbent will be 50% of the normal teaching load for similarly situated professors within the School of Law, assist in the development of additional course material for students and faculty, serve on Master’s and Doctoral review committees, and work collaboratively with other University of Akron faculty to help faculty understand and utilize the University of Akron innovation process. Depending on level of funding and research, this 50% course load could continue beyond the first two years.
The incumbent, in coordination with the relevant deans and faculty, will work with multi-disciplinary teams of students from the School of Law, College of Engineering, Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business Administration, and College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering to facilitate the protection and commercialization of new technologies developed by university inventors and entrepreneurs and to promote sound public policies. The incumbent will assist in the development of new, interdisciplinary courses relating to the innovation process and in the creation of new degrees and/or certificate programs in the area of innovation. The incumbent will help identify sources of outside funding and, working with university personnel, seek grants, gifts, and other funding opportunities for continual support of IPC activities. The incumbent, with other IPC faculty, will identify potential members of an advisory council and work with such council in achieving the vision and mission of the IPC.
The incumbent must possess a terminal academic degree in law and a degree in a business-related field or engineering (as relevant). The candidate’s education and experience in business or engineering must be sufficient to obtain a secondary appointment in the College of Business Administration or College of Engineering, respectively. The candidate must have significant experience in the area of intellectual property law, business creation, or company start-up. The incumbent will work closely with other IPC faculty and must be a team builder.
It is preferred that the candidate have experience starting a company, capitalizing a company, successfully running a company, and successfully exiting a company. It is also preferred that the candidate have a good understanding of the innovation process, pathways to commercialization, potential roadblocks, and pitfalls.
The anticipated start date is August 25, 2014, for a nine-month appointment.
For complete details and to apply for this position, visit: http://www.uakron.edu/jobs. Job ID# 8036. When submitting the online application (link listed above) please be prepared to attach a resume, cover letter and list of references.
The University of Akron is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and to the principles of affirmative action in accordance with state and federal laws.
Employer Type: Educational
Job Location: Akron, Ohio
Patent Portfolio Builders PLLC, (formerly Potomac Patent Group of Fredericksburg) an Intellectual Property law firm specializing in the preparation and prosecution of patents in the electrical, software and mechanical technologies, is searching for an experienced Patent Attorney or Patent Agent to address increasing workloads.
Responsibilities include preparing and prosecuting patent applications with the opportunity to do some opinion and licensing work. Qualified candidates will have significant experience drafting patent applications, as well as a degree in EE, CS, Physics or the like, and will view themselves as able to operate independently with little or no supervision. No book of business is required, as plenty of work is available, however, interesting opportunities may also be available for candidates who have (or wish to develop) business.
Salary, working hours and location are negotiable, however, the preferred candidate will be able to work from the Fredericksburg, Virginia office at least two days per week.
Please send resume, along with a sample patent application that you have drafted (if possible) to:
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia