Burford Capital is the leading global finance and asset management firm focused on law. Its businesses include litigation finance and risk management, asset recovery and a wide range of legal finance and advisory activities. Burford is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: BUR) and the London Stock Exchange (LSE: BUR), and it works with companies and law firms around the world from its principal offices in New York, London, Chicago, Washington, Singapore and Sydney.
The Firm has created a Patent Analyst position on the patent team. The patent team is responsible for originating, underwriting, and managing Burford’s patent-focused investments. The Patent Analyst will provide support to the patent team, including patent underwriting and patent business development personnel, to review and analyze potential patent-related investments. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious individual to join an exciting and growing business in a unique role that sits at the intersection of technology, law, and finance.
The role will report to a Director at Burford responsible for underwriting and managing the firm’s patent investments and be based in Burford’s Chicago offices.
Burford Capital is the largest and most experienced provider of commercial finance to the legal sector in the world, with a core expertise in identifying and optimizing the value of legal assets for companies and law firms. Since its founding in 2009, Burford has worked with hundreds of law firms and corporations, including 93 of the AmLaw 100 and 89 of the Global 100 largest law firms. Our team has grown from five people at the end of 2009 to over 130 people today, including some 60 lawyers.
Burford possesses the resources and expertise of a large company while retaining the flexibility and creativity of a startup. Team members are smart, creative, collaborative, curious, and confident. Everyone rolls up their sleeves to perform and engage collectively for the overall success of the business. Burford values rigorous thinking, clear communication, and efficient execution.
Burford pays base salaries consistent with the financial services industry and favors incentive compensation to reward performance. US ONLY: Burford provides competitive health care benefits and a 401k matching program. Burford Capital is committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, whether or not they have a disability.
- Review and analyze patent claims, patent specifications, and patent file histories
- Learn about and become the internal expert on various patented technologies
- Perform patent validity analysis, including review of prior art patents and other technical documents
- Perform patent infringement analysis, including review of claim charts and related technical documentation
- Review and analyze materials related to patent litigation damages
- Collaborate with patent team regarding litigation strategy
- Conduct research on various patent investment-related topics, including patented technology, potential litigants, counsel, courts and judges, and financial information
- Interface with potential counterparties (including law firms and corporations) to gather, organize, and analyze investment diligence materials
- Create written work product summarizing and making recommendations on assigned tasks
- Work closely with patent underwriting and patent business development teams throughout the investment lifecycle.
Qualifications & Experience
- An undergraduate degree in an engineering or science discipline (computer engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science preferred). A graduate degree in engineering or science is also preferred but not required
- A minimum of 3 years of experience performing substantive patent analysis, either as a Patent Agent, a technical specialist, an in-house advisor, or otherwise
- Strong aptitude for learning and understanding new technologies
- Deep understanding of the U.S. patent system
- Experience directly supporting patent litigation is strongly preferred
- Proficiency with any or all of Docket Navigator, Lex Machina, PACER, and USPTO PAIR a plus.
Core Competencies & Skills
- An analytical thinker, able to deconstruct and analyze complex issues.
- An efficient communicator, capable of explaining complex issues and describing them in plain language.
- Proficient with general science and engineering concepts.
- Practical and deal-minded, with a focus on providing commercially reasonable guidance and solutions to colleagues and managers.
- A multi-tasker, capable of actively managing and prioritizing several projects concurrently.
- A self-starter, capable of taking initiative and proactively adding value to Burford’s underwriting and business development processes.
- A team player who can work collegially with team members at multiple levels and across various business functions.
- Professional demeanor, pleasant manner, and patience in all interactions internally and with potential counterparties.
- Ambitious and the desire to both hone existing skills and learn new skills.
The Patent Analyst will join the patent team and play an integral role in analyzing patent-related investment opportunities and further enhancing the firm’s patent-focused capabilities. This role is located in our Chicago office and will report to a Director on the patent team also located in Chicago. This is a unique position that sits at the intersection of technology, law, and finance, and correspondingly requires a unique blend of skills. The ideal candidate will possess strong technical acumen and a deep understating of the U.S. patent system, as well as an ability to apply these skills in a practical, deal-focused investment setting. Also critical to this role are efficient communication skills and a collegial approach to work. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious candidate seeking a fast-paced work environment and the opportunity for substantial growth.
Apply online at:
Employer Type: Other
Job Location: Chicago, IL