Sybase is currently seeking a patent agent. It is the largest global enterprise software company exclusively focused on managing and mobilizing information from the data center to the point of action. Sybase provides open, cross-platform solutions that securely deliver information anytime, anywhere, enabling customers to create an information edge. The world’s most critical data in commerce, finance, government, healthcare, and defense runs on Sybase.
As a patent agent you will be responsible for composing the initial draft of US patent applications for review by external counsel, coordinating the prosecution and filing of patent applications, and maintenance of relevant documents. You will initiate and interpret patentability searches. You will also be responsible for assisting internal and external counsel in the administration of patent portfolios for multiple engineering groups. You will provide knowledge and assistance in the continued development and implementation of Sybase’s patent strategy. You will provide technical assistance to internal and external counsel in the preparation of analyses related to patent validity and infringement(s).
• Plan and initiate invention harvesting sessions for multiple engineering groups in coordination with the Patent Committee representatives.
• Responsible for drafting US patent applications and coordinating with external patent counsel for assessment and final review.
• Coordinate with and assist outside patent counsel in the prosecution of patent applications.
• Responsible for reporting on the status of multiple dynamically-changing patent dockets.
• Administer the Sybase patent bonus program by maintaining eligibility data, processing payout requests, and securing the appropriate approvals to effect timely payment.
• Initiate and interpret patentability searches.
• Prepare various reports and provides regular communication to Patent Committee representatives regarding status of outstanding matters.
• Maintain and update all relevant databases and updates work process documentation as required.
• Train, counsel, and assist internal clients on the patent application process.
• 3-5 years with BS Degree Or 2-4 years with MS Degree
• Ideal candidates should be registered before the USPTO as a patent agent
• Must be familiar with core Sybase technologies and associated industry segment(s) (e.g., minimum of 2 years of experience in areas such as enterprise and/or mobile databases, data integration, business intelligence and analytics, and/or mobile management, security and middleware)
• Strategic thinker and able to execute per plan to deliver goals timely and efficiently
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and a team player
• Highly detail-oriented and organized with the ability to work well independently in a fast-paced environment
Sybase provides outstanding benefits, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Employee and Dependent Life Insurance, Spousal equivalent benefits coverage, Paid Time Off, Education assistance program, Adoption Assistance Program, Employee stock purchase plan, 401K, Commuter Benefits, 529 College Savings Plan information, Employee Assistance Program, Onsite Fitness Center, Onsite Day Care, Onsite Cafe, and Credit Union
Candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
Sybase is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Qualified Candidates are encouraged to submit their resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com with the Job id – 13192 in the Email subject line.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Dublin, California
Sybase's reputation in delivering mission-critical solutions makes us the leader in the financial industry-where Sybase powers over half the trades on Wall Street, in mobile technology-where Sybase is the market leader in mobile middleware and device management solutions, and in mobile services-where Sybase delivers over 6 billion text messages a month.
In short, Sybase is the wise choice to help businesses achieve the new paradigm for success: the Unwired Enterprise.