KARL STORZ is a leading manufacturer of endoscopic equipment in the medical field. KARL STORZ Imaging in Goleta, CA (near Santa Barbara) designs, develops, manufactures, and services advanced video imaging systems and accessories.
We are looking for a US Patent Agent or Patent Engineer to provide technical and administrative support for KARL STORZ’s international IP portfolio.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate invention disclosures
- Conduct prior art searches
- Prepare, file, and prosecute USPTO and EPO patent applications
- Keep abreast of developments in IP law
- IP opinion support on issues such as freedom to operate, ownership, infringement, and validity
- Advise KARL STORZ employees on IP best practices, including formal training sessions
- Depending on interest and applicant background, patent assertion support
Required Skills and Experience:
- A technical degree, with a preference for optical or other imaging background and experience, but applicants with other technical backgrounds that are applicable to the medical-device field (e.g., electrical and mechanical engineering) are welcomed to apply
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organization and follow through, with the ability to prioritize
- Ability to establish and maintain cohesive inter- and intra-company relationships
- Passed or willing to pass the USPTO Registration Examination
- Working familiarity with patents, trademarks, and design models, typically gained after 3 to 5 years’ experience, although those with more experience are welcomed to apply
- First-hand R&D and design engineering experience in the medical device field (preferred)
- A mix of in-house and law firm experience (preferred)
- IP enforcement experience a plus
- German-language skills is a major plus
We offer world-class benefits, which include an informal, but highly cooperative work environment, company-matched 401(k), tuition reimbursement, KARL STORZ University, and much more.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. KARL STORZ is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability.
If you are interested in this position, please complete an on-line application at: https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Goleta, California