Eli Lilly and Company is seeking a patent counsel to join the company at its Indianapolis, Indiana headquarters.
- The objective of this position is to provide prudent, ethical, landscape-aware, and law-informed solutions for issues facing Eli Lilly and Company in its discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule pharmaceutical products.
- Draft and prosecute pharmaceutical patent applications in all jurisdictions in accordance with business requirements, patent laws and Lilly policies and procedures.
- Monitor, manage and assist in litigation and oppositions in all jurisdictions related to Lilly and third party patent portfolios.
- Analyze risks with appropriate consideration of business objectives and the environment, and develop sound tactical approaches to providing solutions that are prudent, ethical, landscape-aware, and law-informed as described above.
- Advise teams and management about exclusivity, freedom to operate, due diligence, contract, licensing, and litigation risks in a manner consistent with the law, ethics, and Lilly policies; communicate advice in a manner understandable to a lay person.
- Remain well versed in US and global laws, court precedents, and regulations pertinent to pharmaceutical products; apply knowledge appropriately in carrying out responsibilities.
- Prioritize and manage projects; contribute to the implementation of new policies and procedures; lead task-directed teams.
- Contribute to efficiency, collegiality, and collaboration.
- As needed, lead or participate in due diligence, licensing and inter partes matters
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world. #WeAreLilly
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific field that together with prior work experience, provides sufficient background for effective communication with scientists and management about scientific aspects of discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule products.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
4 or more years of post-JD experience as a patent attorney in a law firm or industry.
- Presently admitted to practice law in at least one US jurisdiction and presently licensed to represent clients in patent matters before the USPTO; in good standing in each state and in the USPTO; no discipline issues on record.
- Office work located at Lilly Corporate Center primarily supporting groups located at Lilly Corporate Center and Lilly Technology Center (Indianapolis), Lilly Biotechnology Center (San Diego), Loxo Oncology at Lilly (Stamford, CT; San Francisco; and Boulder), and Lilly New Jersey/New York. Travel is usually not significant (0-10%), but travel could become more significant (10-20%) intermittently for internal/external requirements.
- Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
- Master's Degree of higher in a scientific field that together with prior work experience, provides sufficient background for effective communication with scientists and management about scientific aspects of discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule products.
- At least 3 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry in a scientific position in drug discovery or development, or demonstrated significant experience with and knowledge of drug discovery and development, and/or with patent litigation relating to drugs.
- At least 3 years of experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications relating to small molecule and, optionally, biological (antibody and/or peptide) pharmaceutical products.
- Strong Law School performance as evidenced by grades, accomplishments, and/or awards.
- High learning agility, including: creatively solving problems; having ability to deal with complexity; having high curiosity; responding well to constructive feedback; seeking improvement of self and Lilly; accepting or leading change and helping others adapt to change; having the ability to adjust style to audience; and having the ability to make the complex understandable.
- Sensitivity to others; composure under stress; ability to quickly learn and adapt.
- Ability to organize self, to multi-task effectively, to complete projects with deadlines on time, and to direct others.
- Effective as individual contributor, team member, and leader.
Apply online via the following link: https://xjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=25428&siteid=5645&Areq=55044BR#jobDetails=2565670_5645.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Indianapolis, Indiana