Motorola Solutions, Inc., a large corporation, is seeking a Patent Professional to work remotely.
The Patent Professional may be responsible for one or more of the following:
- Attending and participating in patent committee review meetings,
- Identifying high-value disclosures that would be additive to our existing portfolio
- Working with inventors to properly capture their ideas and inventions and submitting corresponding disclosures to the proper patent committee for consideration
- Participating in innovation scrubs of product and/or software releases
- Writing, filing, and prosecuting patent applications in the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) and in foreign patent offices
- Securing and preparing source code and/or APIs for registration with the United States Copyright Office
- Overseeing outside counsel on certain aspects of outsourced cases
- Being the lead 'patent contact' for a particular business unit, including handling client training and development, understanding client business and existing patent portfolio(s), and guiding business and engineering professionals in generating high-value, high-impact assets
- Working and interacting with other MSI Patent Attorneys, Agents, Engineers, and Administrative Professionals on a daily basis, both inside and outside of the PS&O group
- Participating in invention mining / harvesting sessions. Some litigation / licensing support may also be periodically requested by litigation / licensing leads in the PS&O and/or Business Legal groups
- Mentoring inventors with nascent ideas to help expand and develop them to meet the company’s strategic portfolio needs
- Aiding in managing the current issued patent portfolio for their assigned business and the strategic focusing of that portfolio. This may include making and/or assisting with annuity decisions, foreign filing decisions, patent classifications, portfolio analysis, mining existing applications for additional coverage, competitive analysis, and identification of further strategic focus areas, among other possibilities
- Experience drafting, editing, and/or reviewing patent disclosures and/or patent applications in stated field(s) of expertise, including experience in a law firm or corporate law department environment
- Strong organization, leadership, and communication skills to draft invention disclosures and/or draft and prosecute patent applications with high quality and efficiency
- Ability to present technical materials to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Great interpersonal and team-work skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Knowledge of video processing concepts (video encoding, decoding, object identification and tracking, scene understanding, media training and machine learning, etc.), IoT concepts, software development principles (OOP, Agile Dev., etc.), programming languages (such as Python, C#, Swift), cloud development and deployment principles, networking principles, and/or telecommunications principles a plus.
- Knowledge of various related technologies such as security, encryption, mixed reality, video / audio processing and analytics, access control, and/or blockchain a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully working in a multi-discipline legal and/or technical office and the ability to work with and across multiple legal and/or technical disciplines.
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. patent laws and introduction to and/or knowledge of foreign patent laws.
- Experience and/or awareness of U.S. and Int’l export control requirements and/or processes.
- Prior familiarity with USPTO’s PAIR, EFS, and EPAS systems, Google Apps for Business, and/or Lecorpio preferred but not required.
- Candidate may reside anywhere in the US
- Juris Doctor Degree
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Systems or Computer Engineering, or Computer Science or comparable field of study
- 6+ years of total legal and/or technical experience in the above-identified legal and technical areas
- Need to be a member of the USPTO patent bar and a member of at least one state bar, both in good standing
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. indefinitely is required. Employer work permit sponsorship is not available for this position.
Referral Payment Plan:
Our U.S. Benefits include:
- Incentive Bonus Plans
- Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
- 401K with Company Match
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Generous Paid Time Off Packages
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid Parental & Family Leave
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Multiple Locations, Remote Work Available