Holland & Hart is seeking a Paralegal to join its patent practice team within the Intellectual Property practice group in the Salt Lake City, Denver, or Boulder office. This role joins a dynamic, collaborative environment focused on excellence and client service.
This position involves performing substantive legal work for the firm and its patent attorneys and requires knowledge of U.S. and foreign patent law and procedure to support a growing, innovative patent practice. This position is responsible for tasks supporting preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign utility and design patents for innovative technology companies.
Ideal candidates will bring applicable functional and technical expertise, demonstrate a customer-oriented attitude, possess strong verbal and written communication skills with co-workers and clients, be a team player who is results-orientated, have the ability to handle change, understand how individual actions contribute to the broader business, take pride in their work, and take initiative to enhance the success of the team.
- Supports patent attorneys all phases of patent prosecution practice management
- Maintains, organizes, and reviews documents and files
- Creates and regularly maintains spreadsheets, status and intellectual property portfolio charts, and/or graphics
- Manages and performs a range of duties related to an internal electronic file system
- Generates templates for patent filings, including applications, responses to Office Actions and other correspondence related to the USPTO, PCT, and foreign associates
- Performs tasks associated with the preparation and prosecution of patent applications
- Coordinates domestic and international filings with the USPTO and foreign law offices and/or other foreign entities
- Monitors deadlines for various domestic and foreign patent activities, handling routine activities in connection with the maintenance and protection of domestic and foreign patents
- Performs electronic filings at the USPTO
- Familiarity with Hague international design practice and procedure
- Tracks and files Information Disclosure Statements with the USPTO across domestic patent families
- Reviews formalities of filed patent documents to ensure proper form, including Filing Receipts, Declarations, Recordings, Information Disclosure Statements, allowed patents ready to issue, etc.)
- Prepares reports and summaries for attorneys and clients
- Reviews and decides on appropriate action to be taken on correspondence received from foreign associates
- Researches and compiles information pertaining to national and international patent rights including searches of USPTO records, patent databases and general patent research
- Manages new client intake and opening of matters
- Helps to train and develop IP specialist team members
- Assists in developing and maintaining client relations, including business development activities, marketing, presentations and meetings
- Acts as liaison between attorneys, foreign counsel, and clients
- Keeps abreast of current patent rules and procedures
- Monitors developments/trends in legal terminology and patent law (e.g., USPTO policy or fee schedule changes) via regular monitoring of legal publications
- Maintains proficiency in required firm and external programs and databases, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, iManage, USPTO products, Intapp, docketing software, billing software, etc.
- Cohesively works with and occasionally trains other patent personnel, including intellectual property specialists and legal assistants
- Performs other functions as assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree or 3-5 years of experience in a professional environment required.
- Minimum 3+ years of domestic and foreign patent prosecution experience required
- Knowledge of USPTO systems and processes
- Knowledge of patent preparation and prosecution
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Excels within a dynamic, positive, professional, team-oriented culture
- Quickly learns and comprehends complex concepts and processes
- Thinks critically to understand how each task fits into a broader workflow
- Works efficiently, using available technology and striving to make tasks easier and more efficient
- Communicates regarding deadlines and level of workload
- Flexibility for occasional evening filing
- Requires superior proofreading
- Requires superior oral and written communication
- Requires proficiency in Microsoft Office suite products (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Visio is a plus), Adobe Acrobat, iManage, USPTO products, Intapp, etc.
Please apply directly online and be prepared to submit a resume and cover letter. You may address your cover letter and/or direct application questions to Lydia Miller, Recruiting Coordinator LFMiller@hollandhart.com. No phone calls or unsolicited resumes from search firms, please. Search firm inquiries may be directed to Lisa Liss LVLiss@hollandhart.com.
About Holland & Hart:
Holland & Hart is ranked as one of Vault’s “Best Law Firms in the Mountain States.” Holland & Hart is also recognized as a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality” by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation” scoring 100 on the annual Corporate Equality Index. For eleven consecutive years, Holland & Hart has been awarded U.S. Gold Standard Certification by the Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF), and the firm has been Mansfield Rule Plus certified since the program’s inception in 2018.
Our core values—integrity, excellence, innovation, teamwork, our commitment to one another, our diverse workforce, our communities, and living full lives—influence all aspects of Holland & Hart’s culture. We intentionally create opportunities for employees to seek balance in their professional and personal lives through long-standing programs, including remote work options and wellness opportunities so they can be in the moment with their work, with their families, or while pursuing personal interests.
Holland & Hart is a full-service law firm across eight states and in Washington, D.C. delivering integrated legal solutions to regional, national, and international clients of all sizes in a diverse range of industries. As part of its longstanding focus on diversity and inclusion, the firm has adopted a diversity plan and participates in diversity initiatives. For more information, please visit: https://www.hollandhart.com/diversity. Holland & Hart is an equal opportunity employer.
As required by the Colorado Equal Pay Act, Holland & Hart is providing a good faith salary range for paralegals positions that may be based in Colorado. The compensation range for paralegals in Colorado is $31.69 - $67.31 per hour based on a 37.5-hour work week. Paralegals are eligible to receive overtime and a discretionary bonus may be available based on performance.
Holland & Hart promotes work/life balance with a robust wellness program, PTO, and a reduced time program. Full-time employees become eligible for benefits on the date of hire, with a benefits offering that includes medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, EAP, STD, and LTD. Also available are voluntary income protection benefits such as supplemental life, accident, critical illness, and long-term care insurances, as well as a 401(k)-retirement plan with a company match and profit sharing. Holland & Hart offers maternity, paternity and adoptive leave policies in a manner that is intended to provide for widely varying circumstances and personal/family needs relating to the birth or adoption of a child. In addition, the firm has programs that may provide for educational assistance, a subscription service for continuing legal education programs, free or discounted legal services, and opportunities through the Holland & Hart Foundation, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating volunteer opportunities for lawyers, paralegals, staff, families, and friends of Holland & Hart LLP. Part-time employees may have access to some of these benefits, which may be on a pro-rated basis.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Salt Lake City, Denver, or Boulder