Dorsey & Whitney LLP is one of the 100 largest law firms in the United States with 20 offices across the U.S., Canada, Europe and Asia-Pacific. We are a premier legal advisor to companies worldwide in a wide range of industries, including banking, energy, food and agribusiness, health care, mining and natural resources, and public-private project development.
There is a position open for an Intellectual Property Services Director in the Intellectual Property practice areas in Dorsey’s Minneapolis or Denver office, depending on the location of the candidate. This position supports the firm-wide Patent and Trademark Practice Groups by developing, implementing and managing initiatives to continually improve the performance of the groups in several key areas, including systems/operations, financial management, client relations and internal leadership.
- Lead initiatives to streamline and improve processes and procedures within the practice groups, such as updating and integrating forms with data from docket systems and streamlining timekeeping for and billing of alternative fee arrangements, and conflict identification and resolution.
- Promote and implement the consistent use of technology across the platform, including in the areas of pricing, docketing and document management. Financial Management
- Monitor and analyze timekeeper productivity, workload management and staffing levels.
- Collaborate with the Legal Project Management team to promote and implement legal project management policies and processes to enhance Firm profitability.
- Develop, implement and update various alternative fee arrangement pricing models.
- Assess practice group financial performance by reviewing monthly financial results and presenting suggestions for focus and improvement to lawyers in the practice groups.
- Facilitate communication and cooperation with other Practice Groups, client teams and industry teams (e.g., joint marketing efforts, improved cross-selling of IP services).
- Regularly analyze processes related to client demands and recommend changes that will enhance client support and coordination.
- Lead the creation, maintenance, and distribution of client-requested reports and budget tracking mechanisms.
- Through others, oversee the orientation, training and integration of new paralegals, docketing staff and other support staff within the practice group.
- Facilitate the recruiting of lawyers and their effective integration into the firm.
- Create, monitor and assist with the implementation of strategic plans for assigned practice groups and industry teams.
- Facilitate communication across practice groups to proactively identify organizational issues and identify and recommend solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Seven to ten years’ relevant Intellectual Property supervisory experience.
- Excellent organizational, planning, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to coordinate and manage to conclusion many issues/projects at once and work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated success in project management leadership in the areas of process engineering, pricing models and technology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of an organization.
- Team player and leader, with the ability to train others.
- Demonstrated ability to drive innovation.
- Strong analytical skills, combined with a strong attention to detail.
Dorsey offers a competitive pay and benefits package including health care plans, a generous paid time off policy, paid holidays, retirement savings plan, profit sharing contribution, and more. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, affectional preference, disability, age, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, military or veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. Please note that Dorsey is not currently accepting search firm submissions in connection with this opening.
Dorsey & Whitney LLP accepts online applications. Please go to the “Careers” section of the Dorsey website at www.dorsey.com/staffjobs and complete Dorsey’s online application form. We do not accept application materials by mail or email except as a reasonable accommodation for qualified disabled applicants. Individuals who are unable to use our online process due to a disability should call 612-492-5178.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota or Denver, Colorado