GRAIL, a small corporation, is seeking an Assistant General Counsel to work in Menlo Park, CA.
Roles and Requirements:
As the Assistant General Counsel, Intellectual Property, you will support all aspects of GRAIL’s global Intellectual Property portfolio strategy, with a focus on patent preparation and prosecution in the life sciences and bioinformatics spaces. This role is based in Menlo Park, CA requiring an on site presence of two days or more a week. This role requires periodic travel, including travel to our affiliate GRAIL location in Raleigh, NC.
Report directly to the Head of Intellectual Property and lead a team of IP professionals/attorneys to develop and implement strategic IP plans and initiatives Assist in the implementation of IP programs and strategies in line with GRAIL’s business priorities and goals, with a focus on strategic US and ex-US patent filings and prosecution.
Collaborate with research and product development teams to identify and capture high value innovation, and identify the best forms of IP protection for such innovation
Manage internal and external resources for the preparation, filing, prosecution, strategy and management of U.S. and international patent and trademark portfolios
Partner with R&D and commercial business units as an IP generalist, including monitoring and analyzing competitive intellectual property and product offerings, coordinating patent landscape searches and analyses, and supporting corporate IP awareness through IP training
Your background should include:
- 10+ years experience practicing international patent prosecution, with prior in-house experience preferred
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree, admittance to California bar and in good standing, and registration to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Demonstrated success managing direct reports
- Technical background and advanced degree in life sciences (e.g., biochemistry or molecular biology, ideally, with at least some bioinformatics and/or data science experience)
- Demonstrated experience and track record of success building and maintaining a global intellectual property and patent portfolio
- Experience in preparing and prosecuting domestic and international patent applications, and providing patentability, validity, and infringement assessments
- Experience with global patent prosecution, patent appeals, post-grant proceedings, and European opposition proceedings
- Ability to set priorities and work under pressure to meet deadlines required and to flexibly change priorities as needed
- Strong ability communicate complex patent and technical issues to management
- Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize projects
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
Apply online at:
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: Menlo Park, CA