Ofinno is a leading research and development lab for 5G/6G, Next-Gen Wi-Fi, and video compression technologies. Home to some of the world’s most prolific inventors, Ofinno helps companies stay ahead of the technological curve by outsourcing their R&D from ideation to delivery.
We are growing rapidly, and we need hard-working people to keep our enterprise at the leading edge of innovation. Our legal team works shoulder-to-shoulder with the technology team, from the conception of a new idea until the moment the patent is received. The end result is an industry-recognized portfolio, with global reach, at the core of next-generation tech.
Cross-training is what separates Ofinno from other R&D labs. We challenge our attorneys and agents to master the technical concepts underlying our inventors’ ideas. At the same time, our legal team is expected to educate our inventors on the legal aspects of intellectual property. Ofinno’s culture of mutual learning and collaboration is unique among R&D labs, and absolutely can not be duplicated at a law firm.
The open position is for a Patent Attorney. Ofinno has a similar position for a Patent Agent. Depending on skills and experience, the applicant may be considered for a role as Senior Patent Attorney or Senior Patent Agent.
The Patent Attorney will report to the IP Director for Video Compression at our offices in Reston, Virginia. The position is open to remote employees, but requires substantial collaboration with team members in the US Eastern time zone and throughout Europe. Ofinno offers a relocation bonus for a candidate who moves to Reston, Virginia.
The Patent Attorney’s primary responsibility is to work with our tech team to draft patent applications, including patents for standard-essential technologies in the video compression technology area.
Other responsibilities include:
- Prosecuting patent applications
- Assisting with filings and payments of fees
- Searching prior art for relevant subject matter
- Helping to prepare client presentations
To fill the role of Patent Attorney, Ofinno is looking for an experienced candidate who is licensed to practice before the USPTO and/or EPO. The candidate has an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, and has experience with video compression technology. Experience with point-cloud compression, dynamic mesh coding, or MPEG immersive video standards is a plus factor.
Our people are our business, and it is our job to take care of you. We know you have to see it to believe it, but here are some of the perks you can count on:
- Competitive salaries within the range of $120-180k for a Patent Attorney, and up to $225k for a Senior Patent Attorney, with regular opportunities for salary increase, and additional compensation based on company performance and valuation.
- 401(K) matching -- We help you plan and save for retirement with a 401(K) matching program that’s available on day one.
- Free healthcare plans-- Ofinno covers full premiums for you are your family on select healthcare plans, including employer HSA contributions if applicable.
- Free Food -- Our kitchen is always fully stocked, including lunch, protein bars, fruit, sodas, coffee and tea.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off -- Our lives are enriched by family time, vacations and personal time, so we offer unlimited paid time off and sick leave.
- On-campus gym -- Unwind, reduce stress and feel great – even when you’re at work.
- Other benefits, too long to list -- Please discuss with our great People Ops team about additional benefits offered.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To join Ofinno, please submit a resume, cover letter, and some writing samples to https://ofinno.com/careers/
Do you have any special instructions for applicants, such as materials to include with their submission?
The writing samples preferably include: (a) a patent application that you have written in the area of video compression technology; and (b) at least one response to a USPTO or EPO Office Action. For the Office Action Response, we are particularly interested in the persuasiveness of your arguments regarding novelty and non-obviousness. We would like to see your best arguments regarding novelty or non-obviousness (for example, without relying on substantive claim amendments to overcome a rejection). Please do not provide Office Action responses that are primarily focused on 35 U.S.C. § 101 or 112.
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: Reston, VA or Remote