Michael Best & Friedrich LLP is seeking a Patent Paralegal to join our Broomfield, Chicago, Denver, Madison, Milwaukee, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, Washington D.C. or Waukesha office. The Patent Paralegal will work closely with attorneys in the Firm’s Intellectual Property Group.
The person in this position will be responsible for providing legal support on a variety of tasks focused on patent prosecution. Individuals with exceptional client service and communication skills, as well as experience in a fast-paced environment will be successful in the Patent Paralegal role. The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years of experience working as a paralegal in patent prosecution.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Collaborate with attorneys to prepare, file, and prosecute new patent applications in the PCT, U.S. and foreign jurisdictions
- Generate reports and monitor daily docket of deadlines and ensure that deadlines are met and system is properly updated
- Facilitate ongoing communication with attorneys regarding upcoming filing deadlines
- Communicate with internal staff, foreign associates and clients regarding routine or procedural patent prosecution events
- Ability to meet 1,250 billable hour requirement and production target
- Assist with patent due diligence projects
- Work with the IP team to develop, implement, and maintain docketing processes, procedures and policies for patents, and patent applications
- Maintain the integrity of electronic data in accordance with firm policy and procedures
- Perform additional projects and administrative tasks as assigned
Knowledge Base & Education:
- Associate’s degree and minimum of two years of experience working as a paralegal in patent prosecution
- The ability to learn rules, regulations, and procedures specific to the assigned practice area as well as policies and procedures established by the firm and apply them accordingly
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills, as well as the ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects while managing critical deadlines
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Knowledge of Anaqua, Elite and/or iManage (or similar document management system) is a plus
- Ability to learn and embrace new skills and best practices as the position evolves and Firm needs change
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to develop relationships and foster teamwork at all levels of the Firm
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse group of internal and external clients, attorneys, and staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage confidential information and sensitive situations with tact and discretion
Problem Solving Skills:
- Ability and confidence to identify and analyze issues, make decisions, and initiate actions/solutions
- Ability to respond to unexpected challenges, including proactively developing innovative solutions to complex problems while maintaining a professional demeanor
- Ability to maintain composure and demonstrate good judgment
- Valid authorization to work in the U.S.
To be considered, please apply online at: https://lawcruit.micronapps.com/sup/JobPostingDetails.aspx?lawfirm=MiUyNTVFSms=&JobId=MW4lM2Yyb1A=&at=JTNhJTQwJTNiQQ==
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Broomfield, CO; Denver, CO; Chicago, IL; Madison, WI; Milwaukee, WI; Waukesha, WI; Raleigh, NC; Salt Lake City, UT; or Washington D.C.