Genective, a JV between two leading global seeds companies, Limagrain and KWS, is looking for a part-time Corporate Counsel for our fast-growing team in the U.S. The Patent Scientist/Agent is a direct report of the VP of Research and CSO. The working location can be anywhere in continental U.S. with locations in Central Standard Time Zone preferred.
Reporting to the VP of Research & CSO, the Patent Scientist/Agent will develop a program to enhance Genective’s patent filings and is responsible for managing all IP aspects of Genective’s operations.
- Work as a trusted partner and advisor on IP matters for the VP of Research & CSO and the broader research team at Genective
- Establish, monitor, and manage an IP portfolio for Genective to ensure operational compliance and efficiency
- Perform patent assessments and the drafting of patent applications
- Evaluation and due diligence of patent licensing and opportunities
- Work closely with and advise scientists and respective teams on IP matters
- Establish and protect Genective IP positions at the Legal & IP Advisory Committee (LIPAC), a working group consisting of legal and IP representatives from parent companies (Limagrain & KWS)
- Establish and manage logistics of IP working groups for external collaborations, e.g. Joint IP Committee for the AgBiome Collaboration
- Drive development of IP strategy to support Genective’s research direction as well as provide infringement opinions as needed
- Control and manage the IP budget for patent filings and portfolio maintenance
- Liaise with and maintain a strong relationship with counterparts at parent companies (Limagrain and KWS) and affiliated companies (AgReliant) and collaborators (i.e. AgBiome)
As required by the VP of Research, CSO
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in a science field (Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Entomology, Agronomy, Genetics, etc.)
- 5 -10 years of patent experience and/or have some level of legal training in the USA; a Juris Doctorate is a plus
- Being a registered patent practitioner with the USPTO is highly preferred
- Experience in Ag biotech and/or the Ag industry is essential while experience of working in a JV environment is a plus
- Well-rounded experience in all major IP aspects of a US-based corporation with a global operational footprint; experience with EU and South America a plus
- Significant IP experience: able to provide opinions and guide operational practice or identify appropriate specialists for further assistance if needed
- Able to translate between legal/IP and other functions, e.g. research, finance, regulatory, and general management, to enable effective understanding and productive work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: able to work effectively with multi-cultural, multi-functional, geographically diverse teams
- Superb interpersonal skills: able to work with various personalities and situations; able to manage diverse stakeholders and opinions towards alignment and actions; able to strike the balance between assertion and flexibility
- Able to plan for and keep track of multiple projects and hold self and others accountable
- Capable to perform consistently in a fast-paced, quickly changing, entrepreneurial environment
- Passionate about supporting others and see others’ success as his/her own success
To be determined based upon qualifications and work arrangements targeting 1/2 of an FTE.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Patent Scientist/Agent as the subject.
Employer Type: Other
Job Location: Remote within the continental U.S., locations in Central Standard Time Zone preferred.