Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our five premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Patent Agent to join its Life Sciences Solutions Group at a site in the San Francisco Bay Area. This position will support the next-generation sequencing business. You will work closely with a diverse and talented group of researchers and engineers as well as a dynamic legal group, this position will help drive IP tactics and strategy for cutting-edge next-generation sequencing for research and clinical applications. Many different challenges and opportunities await the right candidate.
The Patent Agent will support a variety of IP initiatives, including: invention harvesting, patent preparation and prosecution, portfolio development and management, IP searching and/or landscaping, and support for freedom-to-operate analyses. Our Patent Agents are expected to develop an understanding of the business strategy for the groups they support to both inform the various IP initiatives as well as the underlying business decision-making processes. Further, agents actively participate in engaging and representing to the business the IP legal position on various opportunities that arise from this important work.
Technical areas of focus for this position include next-generation sequencing instruments, systems, and workflows.
- Experience in invention harvesting, patent preparation and prosecution, portfolio development, and patent searching;
- Excellent scientific and technical expertise;
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and interpersonal, a collaborative instinct, and a high level of initiative; and
- Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Four or more years of experience preparing and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications (writing samples will be requested);
- An advanced degree in a suitable engineering or scientific discipline; and a track record of success as a patent agent (ideally also including industry experience)
To apply, please visit this website: https://jobs.thermofisher.com/ShowJob/Id/2457/Sr-Patent-Agent/.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: South San Francisco, California or Guilford, Connecticut