Energizer Holdings, Inc. is currently seeking Patent Counsel to join us at our Technology Center. Reporting to the Energizer Senior Patent Counsel, the Patent Attorney must be a strategist and will be responsible for managing patent matters and providing global direction on patent issues for one or more worldwide business units. The Attorney will be responsible for extensive and challenging client counseling and development as well as managing global IP matters such as patentability, freedom to operate and the negotiation and drafting of IP agreements.
Specific Duties, Activities and Responsibilities Include but are not Limited to:
• Provide accurate clearance opinions for new products & business development opportunities;
• Manage outside law firms and internal search personnel as appropriate; and
• Provide legal opinions to internal managers and executives regarding third party patents.
• Assist clients in the development of products, and lead the training of engineers and
other appropriate personnel in the importance of securing and maintaining IP rights;
• Work with R&D to prepare invention disclosures, determine patentability, and apply protection
• Take leadership role in helping to evaluate new ideas and drafting and prosecution of US and foreign patent applications, with appropriate claim breadth to maximize value;
• Review and evaluate existing patents applications and patents with respect to their value to Energizer and the marketplace, and assist businesses with annuity payment decisions.
• Research external products and survey competitor patent portfolios to assess whether any Energizer patents have been infringed, or if there are any competitive threats; and
• Proactively coordinate meetings with management & engineers to discuss findings.
• Counsel clients and assist in the negotiation of appropriate IP agreements;
• Draft license, confidential disclosure, material transfer, consulting, and research collaboration
agreements and other IP agreements
• Other duties as required
Education/Training: Juris Doctor degree from accredited Law School and Admission to a State Bar (preferably Ohio). Minimum of Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Electrical or Chemical preferred), Physics or Physical Chemistry. Advanced degree preferred. Experience with electronics and electro-mechanical products a plus. Must be registered to practice before United States Patent and Trademark Office.
5+ years demonstrated experience in patent law. Law firm and corporate law department experience is highly desirable. Experience should include client counseling, drafting and prosecuting domestic and international patent applications, conducting freedom to operate and patentability analyses and understanding of patent litigation. Prior experience with intellectual asset management and strategy also is desirable. Complex transactional and negotiation experience also desirable.
The right person will have excellent communication skills, both written and interpersonal, to communicate clearly and effectively within the Legal department and the R&D and product development functions. Must be able to manage and develop clients so that valuable IP is created for the business.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills; capable of interacting with co-workers, senior
management, outside counsel, third parties and other external contacts;
• Strong organizational and project management skills;
• Ability to pursue projects to completion with a minimum of input or direction, take initiative in creating and improving work processes, and work effectively on a variety of simultaneously active with fluctuating priorities and deadlines;
• Excellent attention to detail;
• Exercises critical thinking and independent judgment regarding areas of responsibility;
• Ability to understand the realities of doing business and to function in a fast-paced, global environment while managing multiple priorities.
• All candidates must be authorized to work full time in the U.S.
Qualified candidates may apply at the direct link below:
Energizer is Proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE M/F/D/V
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Westlake, Ohio
Energizer Holdings, Inc., is one of the world’s largest manufacturers and marketers of primary batteries, portable lighting and personal care products. Energizer is the successor to over 100 years of expertise in the battery and portable lighting products industry. Its brand names Energizer and Eveready have worldwide recognition for quality and dependability, and are marketed and sold in more than 165 countries. At our Global Technology Center in Westlake Ohio, we conduct the research that enabled many Energizer firsts and manage the global manufacturing of our primary batteries, portable lighting, and other consumer products worldwide.