Honeywell has an excellent career opportunity is currently available for a Patent Counsel within Honeywell’s UOP business in Des Plaines, Illinois. The position will be responsible for partnering with the organizations inventors and technologists in the preparation of patent applications, as well as leading the prosecution of applications with patent offices.
Honeywell International is a $39 billion diversified Fortune 100 leader with more than 130,000 employees in 100 countries around the world. We invent and manufacture technologies that address some of the world’s toughest challenges linked to global macro trends like energy efficiency, clean energy generation, safety and security, globalization and customer productivity. We are building a world that’s safer and more secure, more comfortable and energy efficient, more innovative and productive. For more information, please visit Honeywell.com or follow us @HoneywellNow.
Performance Materials and Technologies is a high-performing, global business with an array of technologies that are changing the world for the better. We develop and manufacture advanced materials and process technologies used in a wide range of industries and applications, from petroleum refining to environmentally-friendlier refrigerants to bullet-resistant vests. Our advanced materials are critical in the manufacture of products ranging from nylon to computer chips to pharmaceutical packaging.
Performance Materials and Technologies holds more than 3,900 patents globally and employs 2,800 engineers (about one-third of its total workforce) and 1,100 R&D personnel, including 400 with doctorates. Performance Materials and Technologies comprises five businesses, each of which succeeds on the strength of its technology portfolio, complimented with expertise in engineering, sales, marketing and supply chain.
UOP is the recognized leader in developing and licensing process technology used by refiners and petrochemicals producers to produce gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and the building blocks for plastic and other products. It also develops and sells catalysts, adsorbents, equipment, process plants and technical services.
UOP is pioneering technology to get plastics from natural gas and to get more valuable products out of every barrel of oil. UOP has also developed technology to produce real fuels from renewable energy sources, including Honeywell Green Diesel™ and Honeywell Green Jet Fuel™, which was used to power the first transatlantic biofuel flight.
• Serve as patent counsel in the Patent Acquisition Group for UOP.
• Will primarily undertake original patent preparation and prosecution across multiple technologies for UOP.
• Will secondarily support broader IP-related legal matters of various UOP businesses in conjunction with Lead IP Business Counsels.
• Directly prepare/draft patent applications, and directly prosecute patent applications globally
• Significantly instruct and manage outside counsel in non-U.S. regions in the prosecution of the UOP global patent estate across multiple technologies; also manage U.S. outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of domestic patent applications.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of overall IP strategic plans for various UOP businesses and technologies, and conduct legal best practices training and education in the areas of patent prep/pros to internal clients.
• Support of Intellectual Property (IP)-related matters outside of patent preparation and prosecution.
• Assist Lead IP Business Counsels, with occasional lead roles, in other IP-related matters for various UOP businesses, including counseling related to IP risk-opportunity analyses of potential transactions and new product/process introductions, adversarial patent office proceedings (oppositions, revocations, invalidation actions), and transactional/agreement matters.
Basic Candidate Qualifications:
• BS degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or a closely related engineering discipline is required.
• Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school is required.
• Minimum 3 years experience handling the original preparation and prosecution of patent applications is required.
• Current State Bar of IL admission or the ability to immediately transfer to IL State Bar is required.
• Current USPTO registration number is required.
Additional Candidate Qualifications:
• Strong intellectual capacity and high personal standards of excellence are necessary.
• Personal presence, strong communications skills and credibility necessary to effectively interact with inventors and technologists in preparing patent specifications and constructing arguments during prosecution is desired.
• Outstanding Integrity and judgment.
• Ability to set priorities for himself/herself, as well as for other members of legal department, and the discipline to execute to those priorities is preferred.
• A self-motivated, dedicated team player who will take a proactive approach to manage and continuously improve internal legal function is desired.
We offer a team oriented environment along with exciting career opportunities and a highly competitive compensation and benefits package.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Honeywell is committed to a diverse workforce.
Apply to this position at http://www.honeywell.com/careers/jobsearch.html Position number: 00228204 - Patent Counsel
Interested in Honeywell but this isn't the right job for you? Join Honeywell's Talent Network to receive updates on other Honeywell employment opportunities, news and more. Click here to sign up: http://careersathoneywell.com/en/Newsletternew.aspx.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Des Plaines, Illinois