DuPont's Industrial Biosciences (IB), Genencor Technology Center, located in Palo Alto, California has an opening for an experienced U.S. Patent Agent. This is a highly visible, key role within Industrial Biosciences Intellectual Property group which provides an exciting opportunity to work within a team yet self-management independence. An individual well-suited to this position must exhibit vision, integrity, commitment, leadership, self-motivation, maturity and judgment.
The IB Patent Agent has diverse responsibilities including U.S. patent drafting, U.S. and foreign patent prosecution, patent administrative proceedings, IP portfolio strategy, invention development, inventor education, patentability and landscape analysis.
In order to be qualified for this role, you must possess the following:
- Advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) and strong background in microbiology, biochemistry, or molecular biology;
- Capability of connecting scientific details of research projects with patentability considerations;
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in drafting and/or prosecuting Biotech (USPTO TC1600) patent applications as a Registered U.S. Patent Agent;
- Experience working with foreign associates to assist and coordinate filing and prosecution of international patent matters;
- Drafted and filed at least 20 priority patent applications on distinct inventions within the subject matters of USPTO TC1600, during the past 3 years;
- Ability to work independently and proactively with minimal direction;
- Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to multitask and prioritize projects and meet aggressive deadlines;
- Superior communication and networking skills;
- Outstanding writing skills as demonstrated by original writing samples of patent applications, prosecution submissions, memorandums, and other communications.
The following skill sets are preferred by the Legal function
- Ph.D. degree with focus on biochemistry, protein sciences, genetics, microbiology, or other like disciplines;
- Post-graduate R&D laboratory experience for 2 or more years;
- Some law firm experience is a plus;
- Experiences with independently prosecuting large patent dockets;
- Experiences with developing and implementation of IP Strategies, conducting freedom to-operate analyses, IP portfolio analyses, and/or landscape mapping.
- Experience in working with business and technical teams to develop IP strategies for technical programs.
Apply online at: http://careers.dupont.com/
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Palo Alto, California