The Purdue Research Foundation Office of Technology Commercialization has an opening for a Patent Attorney with a Life Sciences focus. The Patent Attorney will:
- Perform prompt and competent completion of analyses of intellectual property protection and strategies to enable timely technology transfer of Purdue University intellectual property.
- Work cooperatively with Purdue inventors and OTC licensing staff to evaluate technology-based innovations for appropriate intellectual property protection.
- Draft patent and trademark applications and present the applications to US Patent and Trademark Office and copyright registrations to US Copyright Office for the benefit of Purdue University.
- Prosecute patent and trademark applications with respect to all aspects of patent and trademark law, including preparing formal communications and responses to national patent and trademark offices, conducting examiner interviews and related prosecution activities for the benefit of Purdue University.
- Engage and manage outside counsel on patent and trademark prosecution matters including coordinate, manage and account for budget expenditures associated with all assigned project-related activities.
- Juris Doctor degree.
- Advanced degree in a life sciences-related field required; PhD preferred. *Related experience may substitute for PhD.
- Patent practice experience in life sciences (such as biology, bio-medical, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals).
- A minimum of three years of direct patent drafting and prosecution experience before US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Registered with US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Member of Indiana or a reciprocating state Bar with good standing.
- Strong working knowledge of intellectual property transactions including licensing.
- Knowledge of technology transfer within industry and/or academia.
- Strong diplomatic skills.
- Legal contract comprehension and hands-on patent prosecution experience.
- Commitment to higher education and the values of scientific research and discovery for societal benefit.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to the Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. View the full posting online at http://prf.org/career. A criminal conviction check and negative controlled substance test are required for employment in this position. Purdue Research Foundation is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce.
Employer Type: Education
Job Location: West Lafayette, Indiana