Suffolk University Law School is seeking qualified candidates to consider for the Director of Intellectual Property position. The Director will be responsible for pursuing partnerships, both locally and nationally, with corporations, law firms and other institutions of higher education. The goals of the partnerships are to provide opportunities for additional IP internships, jobs, and skills-based experiences; funding for programmatic initiatives; the development of impactful conferences and programs; and the growth of a student pipeline of technical specialists attending the Law School.
The Director will interface with volunteers and IP faculty members to continually evaluate and prioritize the Law School's goals in the IP area. The Director also will work to develop new programs that help to fit those goals and collaborate with the IP faculty on existing IP programs and activities, including administering and growing the online IP Certificate Program.
• Develop and oversee conferences, events, and continuing legal education programs in IP law in consultation with the Law School's IP concentration directors
• Develop sponsorship programs for these events and create a financially sustainable model for the Law School's conference and events offerings
• In consultation with the Associate Dean of Admission, develop relationships with colleges with strong STEM programs, as well as law firms and other employers of technical specialists, to grow the number of technical specialists attending the Law School
• Assist the Dean of Admission on recruitment efforts in this area
• In consultation with the Associate Dean for Professional & Career Development, provide practice area-specific career counseling to law students and recent graduates and serve as the Law School's liaison to legal employers to increase IP internship and postgraduate opportunities for current students and recent graduates
• Assist with the marketing and communications of the Law School's IP programs in order to enhance the Law School's regional and national reputation in this area
• Engage alumni who are practicing in IP law and educate them about the Law School's IP efforts
• Coordinate efforts of the Law School's IP Advisory Board
• Engage in fundraising, apply for grants, and seek corporate/law firm sponsorships to support the Law School's IP initiatives.
• Prepare and oversee a budget for the Law School's IP efforts
IP Certificate Program
• Grow the number of students in the online IP certificate program
• Provide administrative support for the certificate program and advise the director regarding program content
• J.D. Degree and practice experience in the area of intellectual property law.
• Ability to work collaboratively with all stakeholders, including alumni and faculty members.
• Self-starter who is comfortable developing and implementing strategic plans.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook).
• Strong administrative skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, with ability to present information clearly, logically and concisely.
• Strong program development with a service orientation.
• Highly collaborative with strong communication skills.
• Innovative and creative: inspires and develops new approaches to addressing challenges and problems.
• Committed to diversity: establishes a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for diversity of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, marital status, age, citizenship, or status as a covered veteran.
• Committed to community: contributes to climate of civility, honesty, cooperation, professionalism and fairness.
Suffolk University Law School has a strong national reputation in intellectual property law. Current programs include a concentration in IP law and a patent law specialization. Students can take courses that explore the numerous facets of IP law as well as participate in an IP Law Clinic that represents traditionally underserved clients. The school's part-time evening program has traditionally attracted students with engineering and life science backgrounds who are interested in pursuing a career in patent law. Many of these students work as technical specialists for Boston-area law firms and are engaged in patent work while they attend law school. Because of these curricular strengths, Suffolk Law has more patent law partners in Boston-area law firms than any other law school.
Suffolk at a Glance
Suffolk University is a private, comprehensive, urban university located in the heart of downtown Boston. Our college green is the Boston Common. We are steps from dozens of historic sites including the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus-Boston and Suffolk blend together.
Since 1906, Suffolk has been committed to creating an exceptional learning experience. Our vision is to be recognized as a dynamic institution that fosters engaged learning, rigorous scholarship, innovative thinking, and community collaboration across disciplines. We will ensure that Suffolk graduates are versatile and prepared for modern society and the new world market. We will provide rich curricula, experiential learning opportunities and professional mentoring through increased collaboration with alumni and community partners. We will recruit, mentor, and support a diverse faculty of teacher-scholars who are passionately committed to preparing our students to be leaders in the global community. We will inspire investment in a Suffolk community that is built on ethical, forward-thinking leadership, teamwork, and cooperation.
Suffolk University is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, and national origin or LBGTQ status.
See yourself here with our terrific benefits package. Benefits include, but are not limited to:
• Harvard Pilgrim medical/Delta Dental at low employee costs
• Retirement options including both Standard Retirement Plan (SRP) and Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity (VTDAP). The University contributes 9% to your SRP when employees contribute 5% after eligibility guidelines have been met.
• All employees and faculty members who are at least half-time are eligible for the tuition free course benefit in the College of Arts and Sciences and in the Sawyer Business School. There are additional tuition benefits for spouses, domestic partners, and children.
• Generous time-off program. Vacation accrues monthly. Vacation for part-time employees is pro-rated based on the employees' regularly scheduled hours. Additional holidays are announced each year and are separate from the employee's vacation allowance.
• Pre-tax commuter benefit
• Discounted home and auto insurance
Suffolk University conducts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) checks relative to prior criminal convictions and pending cases, as well as Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) checks relative to prior sexual offenses committed as a contingent offer of employment for all positions. Suffolk University requires specific written authorization to conduct background checks. Failure to provide such authorization shall preclude candidates from being hired.
Contact Additional Info
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter for the position in which you are applying to.
Employer Type: Education
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts