The Purdue Research Foundation, Office of Technology Commercialization has an opening for a Patent Counsel with a focus on the Physical Sciences. The Patent Counsel will be responsible to: perform prompt and competent completion of analyses of intellectual property protection and strategies to enable timely technology transfer of Purdue intellectual property; work cooperatively with Purdue inventors and Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC) licensing staff to evaluate technology-based innovations for appropriate intellectual property protection; draft patent applications and present applications to US Patent and Trademark Office and copyright registrations to US Copyright Office for the benefit of Purdue; prosecute patent applications with respect to all aspects of patent law, including preparing formal communications and responses to national patent offices, conducting examiner interviews and related prosecution activities for the benefit of Purdue; and engage and manage outside counsel on patent prosecution matters including coordinate, manage and account for budget expenditures associated with all assigned project-related activities.
- JD required.
- Master’s degree required in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or a related field.
- Patent practice experience in physical sciences required.
- Two to four years of direct patent drafting and prosecution experience before US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Registered with US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Member of Indiana or a reciprocating state Bar in good standing.
- Strong working knowledge of intellectual property transactions including licensing required.
- Knowledge of technology transfer within industry and/or academia.
- Strong diplomatic skills.
- Legal contract comprehension and hands-on patent prosecution experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, computer, written/verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to higher education and the values of scientific research and discovery for societal benefit.
- Occasional travel required.
A criminal conviction check and negative controlled substance test are required for employment in this position. Purdue Research Foundation is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to the Director of Human Resources at email@example.com. View the full posting online at http://prf.org/careers.
Employer Type: Education
Job Location: West Lafayette, Indiana