The University of Maryland is seeking a Director, Office of Technology Commercialization.
The Director leads and manages the OTC, overseeing personnel, budgets, and all aspects of intellectual property cultivation, assessment, protection, and commercialization. The Director establishes and implements strategies to maximize the social and economic impact of University research and discoveries through OTC’s commercialization efforts and its support of related entrepreneurial endeavors. The Director is responsible for developing and meeting annual OTC licensing goals and acts as primary point of contact and steward to resolve problems and issues affecting intellectual property and licensing at all levels within the University.
The Director interacts closely with University administrators, faculty, staff, and students; units involved in research administration support services, internal and external legal counsel; external partners / potential licensees and industry research and development. The Director will build strong relationships externally to drive broader awareness and dissemination of the University’s innovation capabilities and available technologies and will develop trusting working relationships with University researchers to advance the University’s culture of innovation and collaboration.
The Director reports directly to the Associate Vice President, Innovation and Economic Development (AVP) and strategically supports the AVP as the expert licensing professional in the OTC.
- Master’s degree in technical, business or related field.
- With a minimum of ten (10) years of successful leadership experience in corporate, academic, startup and/or entrepreneurial setting. A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical, business or related field.
- With a minimum of twelve (12) years of successful leadership experience in corporate, academic, startup and/or entrepreneurial setting. A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience in technology transfer, business development, intellectual property management, and related activities. Experience and strong technical competence negotiating deal terms, complex and standard, including an understanding of both industry and startup perspectives and needs.
- Strong, demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to identify and hire talent, coach staff, develop and manage high-performing teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Demonstrated expertise in working collaboratively with diverse stakeholders.
- Proven success engaging the private sector in a variety of commercial endeavors.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative mindset for business planning and implementation.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, internally and externally, evidenced through relationship management, networking, and team building.
- Strong appreciation for and ability to drive relevant collection and reporting of metrics to assess not only office operational efficiency but also impact and outcomes.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters with discretion and tact while maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities, often under time constraints.
- Ability to assess and advocate for resources needed to achieve goals and objectives of the office.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. No visa sponsorship will be provided for this position.
- Best Consideration date: 05/11/2018
To apply, please visit this website: https://ejobs.umd.edu/
Employer Type: Education
Job Location: College Park, Maryland