Founded in 1807, the University of Maryland, Baltimore is Maryland’s first and only public health, law, and human services university dedicated to excellence in education, research, clinical care, and public service. We are a thriving academic health center combining cutting-edge biomedical research and exceptional patient care. UMB’s extramural funding totaled $688 million in Fiscal Year 2020, and each tenured/tenure track faculty member brings $1.5 million in research grants on average each year.
UMB’s Office of Research and Development is now seeking a Research and Technology Transfer Specialist to join the Office of Technology Transfer. The Specialist will be responsible for monitoring technology transfer operations and ensuring compliance with benchmarks, milestones, laws, regulations, policies, procedures, ethical standards and public responsibilities. This position will develop and maintain compliance program components operational review, record keeping, program evaluation and reporting requirements. This position specializes in a particular area or substantial knowledge in both intellectual property management and license compliance.
UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Assist with the disclosure and review process for invention disclosures, including helping University faculty complete invention report forms. Prepare all federal reporting for intellectual property as required under federal regulations.
- Assist with IP Data Management system and ad hoc OTT data reporting.
- Interact with outside patent attorneys, University Counsel, other Universities and private companies to coordinate and prepare necessary documents for patent prosecution and license agreements.
- Serve as liaison to campus leadership, University Counsel and faculty and staff for intellectual property policies and procedures.
- Manage compliance executed for University intellectual property.
- Prepare and submit periodic reports including findings, recommendations, and planned corrective action.
- Manage researching, assembling and disseminating information on all areas of intellectual property compliance to the campus research community. This includes gathering and analyzing relevant UMB policies, license terms, guidelines from federal and private granting organizations, and preparing and delivering materials in electronic, hard copy and presentation formats.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience: Four (4) years of technology transfer administration experience.
- Experience in sponsored programs, or clinical or corporate contracts is preferred. Advanced degree in science, business or law is preferred.
Other: Related experience may be substituted for education.
Annual financial disclosure required by Maryland State Law.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
Hiring Range: Approximately $80,000 - $90,000, commensurate with education and experience.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Go to www.umaryland.edu/jobs and search for requisition number 210000NK in the Staff Jobs Portal.
Applications only accepted through online application system.
Employer Type: Education
Job Location: Baltimore, MD