The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is seeking a Patent Coordinator. Responsibilities include the following:
- Coordinate administration of US and foreign patent applications and other legal protection of UIUC technologies.
- Work with OTM technology managers and UIUC inventors during the technology evaluation and patenting process, including: assisting in assembly of supporting data and documentation; reviewing patent search results; monitoring preparation and filing of patent applications, providing assistance in responding to patent office actions; and providing recommendations regarding US and foreign patent processes, costs, and alternatives.
- Serve as a liaison between OTM, UIUC Legal Counsel, and outside patent counsel regarding the selection, engagement process and authorization/approval of expenditures for outside counsel.
- Review and approve invoices.
- Assist with drafting patent licenses and other intellectual property agreements.
- Monitor actions and scheduled due dates for US and foreign patent process to ensure timely responses.
- Manage inventorship, ownership, and assignment issues and decision-making.
- Maintain and organize patent case files.
- Keep abreast of changes in patent laws and procedures.
- Work with patent counsel to manage patent costs.
- Assist in the preparation of the patent budget.
- Provide ongoing training and updates on patent subjects.
- Review all correspondence with patent counsel and take appropriate actions as required.
- Participate in the development of OTM infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
- Oversee accuracy and completeness of database patent or patent-related records.
- Prepare Excel reports as needed from database records on patent and patent-related matters.
- Work with interns to improve searching and inventor interviewing processes, and provide mentoring for interns interested in patent law.
- Prepare and file certain provisional patent applications.
- Participate in campus outreach to educate faculty, students and staff on intellectual property related manners.
- Manage activities of patent fellow.
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree in a physical science, engineering or related field with one to three years working knowledge of patent filing and prosecution procedures. Education must qualify the candidate to take the examination for registration to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Other requirements include: detail oriented with multi-tasking and strong prioritizing skills; excellent verbal and written communications skills to effectively interact with University and departmental officials/staff; ability to work in a fast-paced environment under multiple deadlines; strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with all levels of professionals within the organization; proven teamwork skills; ability to use independent judgment and make sound decisions regarding patents and intellectual property; proficiency with Microsoft Office suite applications; demonstrated teamwork skills in a highly complex business environment; ability to work independently and exercise good judgment and discretion.
Preferred qualifications: Advanced degree in a physical science, engineering or related field; registered patent practitioner; registered Patent Agent, if not registered, preferably has the background to meet the USPTO qualifications to become certified as a Patent Agent.
For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by June 12, 2019 to: https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
Employer Type: Education
Job Location: Urbana, Illinois