Design IP, a small intellectual property boutique law firm located in Allentown, Pennsylvania, seeks a patent attorney or agent to join our thriving practice.
Initial skills needed for success in this position:
- Interact with inventors, analyze patentability and clearance issues, and draft polished, well-written patent applications that take into account the applicable legal standards and the clients commercial/business needs.
- Analyze Office Actions, make clear and concise recommendations for further action, and prepare well-reasoned and organized responses with appropriate legal citations (including examiner interviews, where appropriate).
- Perform infringement and clearance analysis and prepare initial drafts of opinions.
- Be comfortable with a wide range of technologies, including mechanical, electro-mechanical, process chemical, and computer-implemented inventions.
- 1+ years of law firm patent preparation and prosecution experience under the supervision of an experienced patent practitioner is required (2-4 years preferred). Applicants with all technical backgrounds will be considered. Electrical or chemical background is a plus.
We have a robust practice that includes a wide range of technical disciplines and a diverse client base, ranging from individuals to Fortune 500 companies. Although patent preparation and prosecution will be an area of emphasis for this position, there will be opportunities to work in nearly all areas of intellectual property law, including trademark preparation and prosecution, IP opinions and agreements, IP transactions, and IP litigation. We strive to hire and develop well-rounded attorneys who become trusted legal advisers the clients served by our firm.
Our patent professionals choose their own work/life balance. Our minimum billing expectation for full time attorneys/agents is 1500 hours per year, and we welcome experienced attorneys or agents who prefer a flexible or part-time schedule. Base salaries are based on expected billings and bonuses are paid on a percentage basis for additional billings. We offer benefits including retirement, health insurance and disability.
We also offer the lifestyle benefits of the Lehigh Valley, including short commute times (less than 15 minutes for most of our staff), reasonable cost of living, excellent public and parochial schools, close proximity to Philadelphia, New York and Washington, DC, and minor league hockey and baseball teams. This is a great place to live and raise a family.
Feel free to apply through LinkedIn or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying to this position, please include a cover letter, resume and writing samples. Writing samples must include at least one patent application for which you drafted the specification and claims and a substantive Office action response. A legal brief (such as a motion for summary judgment) would also be helpful.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania