Dorsey & Whitney is a trusted legal advisor and valued business partner with locations across the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia. We are a premier legal counselor to companies worldwide in a wide range of industries, including technology, banking, energy and natural resources, food and agribusiness, health care, and development & infrastructure.
Dorsey’s Patent group is seeking a Patent Agent or Technical Advisor with one to five years of patent prosecution experience to be located in our Denver or Seattle offices. Patent bar-eligible candidates with the right technology background and writing experience will also be considered. The ideal candidate will have a passion for understanding and writing about software and electrical technologies, including enterprise cloud and distributed systems, circuit designs, wireless communication technologies, and artificial intelligence. All relevant technical backgrounds will be considered. Strong academic credentials and USPTO admission or eligibility are required. A good candidate will look forward to:
- Conduct inventor interviews in preparation for drafting original patent applications.
- Draft patent applications and prosecute patent applications before the US Patent and Trademark office (USPTO) and foreign jurisdictions via communications with local counsel.
- Prepare office action responses for local and international patent applications.
- File documents with the USPTO when required.
- Support patent litigation and perform due diligence on a per case basis.
- Perform patent searches, analyze invention disclosures, scientific or technical documents, and review issued patents in order to evaluate patent specific issues such as patentability and validity.
- Conduct freedom to operate searches, competitive landscape searches, and review prior art.
- Manage a U.S. and foreign patent prosecution docket such that deadlines are met.
- Conduct interviews with examiners at the USPTO.
- Work closely with our collaborative team of attorneys, agents, paralegals, and legal assistants to ensure excellence in client service at all times.
We are looking for the right person, not just the right resume or experience level. Collegiality and teamwork are highly valued, and broad skills and curiosity can be as important as a specific technical degree.
The following qualifications are required:
- One to five years of agent/advisor experience.
- At least a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- Strong academic performance.
- USPTO admission is preferred.
Dorsey offers a competitive pay and benefits package including health care plans, a generous paid time off policy, paid holidays, retirement savings plan, profit sharing contribution, and more.
Dorsey values the strength that comes from a diverse and inclusive workplace. It contributes to the success of our people and our clients and enriches our experience. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Dorsey & Whitney LLP is an EEO/AAP/Disabled Vets Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, affectional preference, disability, age, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, military or veteran status, or any other legally-protected status.
How to Apply:
Dorsey & Whitney LLP accepts online applications. Patent Agent candidates may apply at www.dorsey.com/staffjobs and Attorney candidates may apply at www.dorsey.com/attorneyjobs. We do not accept application materials by mail or email except as a reasonable accommodation for qualified disabled applicants. Individuals who are unable to use our online process due to a disability should call 612-492-5178.
In addition to submitting your cover letter, resume, and transcript with your application, please also submit a patent prosecution writing sample.
Please note that Dorsey is not currently accepting search firm submissions in connection with this opening.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Denver, CO or Seattle, WA