Pivot Bio is seeking a Intellectual Property Counsel to manage and develop IP arising from Pivot Bio’s third-party collaborations. Combining a strong background in patent law with an ability to evaluate and understand IP rights under collaboration agreements, this role will synthesize disparate information sources into IP portfolio development. Working cross functionally, the incumbent will support technical and collaboration management teams to identify and ensure IP filings and rights are correctly apportioned between Pivot Bio and its third-party collaborators. This position will also play an important role in helping the company leverage its third-party collaborations to develop internal and in-licensed IP arising for work and discoveries made as a result of the company’s third-party collaborations. The incumbent will be adept at evaluating new inventions, especially in the context where multi-party rights to IP are likely to exist.
Fueled by an innovative drive and a deep understanding of the soil microbiome, Pivot Bio is pioneering game-changing advances in agriculture. Our first commercial product harnesses the power of naturally-occurring microbes to provide nutrients to crops. We are dedicated to providing new sustainable ways for farmers to improve yield as they work to help feed the world’s growing population. Read/Hear more about Pivot Bio on OneZero or CNN.
- Be Pivot’s eyes for review of third-party IP developed over the course of third-party collaborations, ensuring new filings are appropriately scoped, and inventorship and rights to the IP are correctly established, based on collaboration agreement ownership provisions.
- Provide ongoing support for third-party filings, providing Pivot’s input on prosecution to ensure continued compliance with collaboration IP ownership provisions and patenting of claims supporting Pivot’s commercial interests.
- Development of Pivot patents in-line with collaboration inventions owned by Pivot and complementary to those produced by third-party collaborators.
- Represent Pivot and its interests in discussions between internal and collaborator technical teams and legal counsel.
- Review of established agreements to ensure collaborating parties are developing their IP in compliance with agreement terms.
- As needed, support of new agreement development and/or revision of established agreement IP provisions.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Combination of technical and legal background, J.D. and Ph.D. in biology, chemistry or related
- 3+ years of experience with patent preparation and prosecution; law firm + in-house experience preferred (More experienced candidates will be considered for a Senior IP Counsel position)
- Prior experience in row crop agriculture preferred
- Deep appreciation for and understanding of appropriate handling of company and third-party confidential information
- Prior experience with collaboration IP management preferred
What we offer:
- Competitive package in a disruptive startup
- Stock options
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance with employer-paid premiums
- Life, Short Term and Long Term Disability policies
- Employee Assistance Program with free referrals and discounts
- 401(k) plan, 3% Match
- Commuter benefits
- Annual Training & Development support
- Flexible vacation policy with a generous holiday schedule
- Exciting opportunity to work with a talented and fun team
Apply online at:
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: Berkeley, CA