Opus 12 is a Berkeley, California based startup focused on recycling CO2 into higher-value products. We are passionate about green chemistry and a shared vision to re-write the story of waste carbon dioxide. Our team partners with industry leaders in electrolysis and plant design to implement our technology at scale.
We are currently hiring for a Director of Intellectual Property to manage and grow our IP portfolio.
As the Director of IP, you will work with Opus 12 engineers and researchers to identify innovations and coordinate with outside counsel to prepare, file, and prosecute patent applications. In this role you will also work with partner contracts where the primary concerns relate to IP development.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and oversee Opus 12’s intellectual property strategy
- Take primary responsibility in communicating with and directing activities of outside counsel
- Actively assist in preparing, filing, and prosecuting domestic and foreign patent applications
- Work with the technical team to identify patentable innovations and draft invention disclosures
- Become familiar with and keep abreast of the competitive landscape related to CO2 electrolysis technology
- Educate and train other employees on intellectual property protection
- Communicate IP strategy and status of portfolio to the management team
- Review contracts with partner organizations and work with outside counsel when necessary to negotiate IP and other terms
Who You Are:
- 3+ years of experience managing an international patent portfolio
- 5+ years of experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications
- Patent agent or attorney preferred
- You have a Masters or PhD degree in a STEM field
- You are familiar with electrochemical technologies (e.g. batteries, fuel cells, electrolyzers)
- You have outstanding verbal and written communication/presentation skills
- You are adept at working with cross-functional teams and multiple stakeholders
Opus 12 Benefits:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Paid sick days and vacation
- Competitive salary and equity compensation commensurate with experience
- Diverse and inclusive work environment
Please submit a resume. Cover letters also welcomed but not required.
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: Berkeley, CA