Michael Best is seeking an Intellectual Property (IP) Administrator Supervisor to join any of our Chicago, Waukesha, Denver, Madison or Milwaukee offices. The IP Administrator Supervisor will oversee the day-to-day operations of the IP Administrator support functions while maintaining a partial billable workload. Under the direction and leadership of the Practice Group Manager (PGM), the role will include effective coordination of workflow to the IP Administrator group.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Provide Trademark (TM) IP Administrators periodic feedback on their performance, including suggestions for professional development or performance improvement.
- Coordinate workflow, manage distribution of work, establish priorities and assign projects as needed for IP Administrators.
- Establish and implement standard operating procedures for TM IP Administrators by developing manuals, guidelines, training programs, and best practices.
- Coordinate performance and evaluation processes for TM IP Administrators with HR and PGM.
- Consult with attorneys to ensure the effective use of TM IP Administrators.
- Conduct regular meetings with IP Administrators to address issues, concerns, and needs.
- Monitor attendance, overtime, daily schedules, work-from-home days, and paid time off to ensure staffing needs are being met.
- Participate in the recruiting process for IP Administrators and coordinate orientation and training of new employees.
- Meet with new IP timekeepers to provide an overview of the IP Administrator support functions.
- Ensure firm policies are practiced and followed and encourage open dialog, maintaining an “open door” policy.
- Stay aware of updates to laws, regulations, and fees related to IP prosecution in the U.S. and globally.
- Be present in all offices on a regular basis.
- Maintain billable workload, filings, and docket responsibilities to the extent clients are maintained.
- Coordinate with Docketing Manager on client intake and transfers out.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics:
- Organizational skills, ability to prioritize, attention to detail
- Ability to manage critical deadlines
- Knowledge of domestic and international trademark laws
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Team player
- Works well in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills
- Demonstrate the highest level of internal and external client service and response
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage critical deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Knowledge of Elite and iManage / similar document management system a plus
- Bachelor's degree (strongly preferred) or Paralegal Certificate
- Minimum of 8+ years’ experience as a trademark paralegal in a law firm or corporate law department
- Experience with domain name and copyright law
- Applied international trademark experience/knowledge
- Experience with IP portfolio management databases
- Understanding of the TMEP
- Highly proficient in Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel
- Preferred Knowledge of Anaqua, Elite and/or iManage (or similar document management system) a plus.
- Preferred 3 or more years of supervising and leading both local and virtual teams.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Denver, CO; Chicago, IL; Waukesha, WI; Madison, WI; Milwaukee, WI