Joff Wild of IAM Magazine has posted a 40-minute video of a recent interview with USPTO Director David Kappos.
Some interesting points:
- Allowance rate is up about 3% over last year. At the same time, the USPTO is making more rejections than ever.
- USPTO Interview Rate is up 60% over last year. Director Kappos believes that interviews have been very important for the process of negotiating a set of final claims that are allowable.
- The USPTO is considering potential tools that can help applicants file better patent applications. These include best practices guidelines and potential automated tools that highlight possible problems in applications.
- Hope for the three-track examination system is implementation in under two-years from now.
- Dramatically improve handing of the PCT. And, at the same time champion PPH.
- [Joff's Comments]