Roche, one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups, is seeking a patent attorney to work in Pleasanton, California.
• Conduct patent clearance review of proposed products; draft and prosecute patent applications and supervise outside counsels relating to same activities; devise and execute portfolio strategy; and assist with licensing activities, due diligence reviews, litigation, as needed.
• Interact with research and development personnel in assigned product and technology areas; maintain current understanding of those areas; carry out patent clearance reviews and design counseling in those areas.
• Evaluate invention disclosures; prepare and prosecute patent applications; supervise outside counsels' preparation and prosecution of patent applications; devise and execute portfolio strategy in the assigned technology or product areas.
• Coordinate activities and legal positions with European colleagues handling ex-US patent matters.
• Assist in litigation, appeals, interference, reissues and reexaminations.
• Prepare, review, and revise patent-related licenses and agreements.
• Assist in due diligence reviews of third patent estates.
• Administrative, training and CLE activities.
Who you are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies, and where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
• J.D. degree, and MS or Ph.D. in Life Sciences or Chemistry is required.
• State Bar; Registration before U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is required; California Bar preferred.
• 3 to 4 years law firm experience prosecuting U.S. patent applications in the biotechnology area is required.
• Prosecution of at least 6 diagnostics or genomics patent applications; additional 1-2 yrs. in-house patent experience is preferred.
• Solid patent law training and experience; strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Approximately 20% travel.
The next step is yours. To apply online today and to learn about other exciting positions, please visit http://careers.roche.com and search for job number RMD061510-2509473.
Roche is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Pleasanton, California
At Roche, 80,000 people across 150 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we’ve become one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity, and on seeing each other’s differences as an advantage. To innovate healthcare, Roche has ambitious plans to keep learning and growing – and is seeking people who have the same goals for themselves.