Bloomberg BNA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bloomberg, and a leading source of legal, regulatory, and business information for professionals, seeks a Vice President and General Manager. The Vice President/General Manager is responsible for developing the Unit strategy and managing the effective operational implementation of the Unit’s business plan within the larger framework of the Division’s strategy and business plan. Responsibility for managing the profit and loss for the Unit, as well as sustaining and growing revenue for the Unit. Also, responsible for leading and managing a high performing organization. The incumbent will be have Patent experience in a law firm, patent prosecution shop, art shop or government environment. The incumbent will have a market facing role and will be focused on continued growth through the expansion of new and innovative products and services as well as providing content, analysis, tools and customer support to legal and other professionals in the Intellectual Property, IT, Privacy, and Data Security markets.
Critical Success Factors for individuals in this role:
- Lead the development and implementation of the Unit’s growth strategy that leverages BBNA Legal’s brand, technology platform, innovative approach, and attention to client service.
- Transform the way the Unit operates to exploit opportunities for scale and rapid marketplace penetration.
- Leverage the BBNA Legal brand as a distinct and high-performing entity and as part of the broader Bloomberg enterprise.
- Initiate market research and competitive analysis to identify opportunities and threats to the business segment; and, develop and execute market-facing strategies to drive improved revenue generation, business growth and customer satisfaction.
- Participate in business development and sales efforts that ensure profitable growth and achieve marketplace leadership in the segment’s online legal research.
- Cultivate the development of distinctive content and products characterized by editorial excellence and integrity by working closely with internal and shared-service resources to introduce new products, iterating them to meet changing market dynamics.
- Develop the Unit’s product brand as a distinct and high-performing entity and as part of the broader BBNA and Bloomberg enterprises.
- Create a high performing organization by driving improved operational efficiency in people, processes and technology to meet operational, financial and other performance goals e.g., customer retention.
- Oversee talent and performance management to ensure that the business segment has top and diverse talent in key impact roles with the capabilities and performance levels to execute the business strategy.
- Drive a market-facing, high-growth business culture that preserves the best elements of the BBNA Legal enterprise while ramping up performance and instilling a sense of urgency and a focus on results.
Candidate Specification: Key Selection Criteria:
- Execution: Outstanding market-facing skills and ideally have led a team demonstrating topline results in high-end B2B management. An understanding and experience of strategic, consultative enterprise-wide sales, working within a B2B subscription model would be highly beneficial.
- Market Impact: A proven leader with personal presence and credibility to secure support and buy-in internally and externally to achieve high growth objectives, a JD and Patent experience or previous exposure to the legal industry, especially the Intellectual Property, IT, Privacy, and Data Security sector, is highly advantageous but not essential.
- Technology: Although a specific industry background is not critical, experience in an organization that relies on a technology platform, massive research and database support would be beneficial.
- Commercial Strategy: A strategic and commercial leader to direct an ambitious plan for growth and market dominance of the online legal research and information market. The VP-GM will have experience in developing, driving and executing successful commercial strategies.
- Managerial Skills: Exceptional general, operating and strategic management experience in an organization that has produced both successful growth and effective integration of diverse business. Attracting, retaining and development of top-level talent. The VP-GM will participate in the ongoing integration of the Unit and of the Bloomberg Law and BNA organizations; experience leading a culture change that propels innovation, market responsiveness, and a sense of urgency is valuable.
- Operations: Demonstrable experience in delivering continuous improvement to an organization’s operations, including business planning, reporting, P&L responsibility, organizational structure and operations.
12+ years’ experience and demonstrated success in developing and executing a strategic business plan and in managing all stages of the publishing, information services and product development processes; demonstrated success in driving achievement and growth of revenue and profit goals for a key business segment and assigned markets; business/market/customer development focus with strong commercial knowledge and judgment; excellent track record for delivering exceptional business results; experience and ability to work within a matrixed business environment; expertise in operational planning and budgeting; experience in communicating and negotiating with internal and external business partners and stakeholders; strong business and financial acumen, strategic focus, entrepreneurial spirit, analytical and decision making skills; demonstrated effective capabilities in managing change, influencing others, and communicating at all levels of the organization; strong focus on talent and performance management to effectively lead the business segment and staff and achieve performance goals; and self-starter who sets high standards of performance and leads by personal example. Bachelor’s, advance degree preferred, J.D. helpful but not required.
- Action Oriented – Drive for Results
- High Level of Emotional Intelligence
- Business Acumen and Strategic Agility
- Customer Focus
- Planning and Organizing
- Creative and Innovation
- Collaboration and Peer Relationships
- Hiring and Staffing – Building Effective Teams
- Delegating and Directing Others
- Coaching, Motivating and Developing Others
- Communication Skills (verbal, listening, written and presentation)
- Continuous Learning
Bloomberg BNA is a leading provider of legal, regulatory, and business information for professionals. Our network of more than 2,500 reporters, correspondents, and leading practitioners delivers expert analysis, news, practice tools, and guidance — the information that matters most to professionals. Bloomberg BNA’s authoritative coverage spans the full range of legal practice areas, including tax & accounting, labor & employment, intellectual property, banking & securities, employee benefits, health care, privacy & security, human resources, and environment, health & safety.
Bloomberg BNA offers a comprehensive benefits package including tuition reimbursement, domestic partner benefits, transportation subsidies, annual and sick leave, parenting leave, 401(k), and much more.
Bloomberg BNA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. Bloomberg BNA has adopted an Affirmative Action Program to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, genetic information, disabled veteran, veteran, veteran of the Vietnam Era, or any other classification protected by law.
Apply online at our website: http://www.bna.com/careers-bna-c6642/.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Arlington, Virginia