GTC Law Group LLP has a thriving patent strategy and patent prosecution practice and is seeking an experienced patent attorney having extensive experience in both the preparation and prosecution of patent applications and the management of large inter-related patent portfolios. GTC provides cutting edge IP solutions for a range of prominent inventors, venture-funded start-ups and established technology businesses.
In addition to day-to-day preparation and prosecution of various applications, the patent attorney must fully understand the subject matter and strategy for the existing portfolio and ensure that all patent preparation and prosecution is executed in a manner consistent with the strategy. The attorney must also be generally proficient in other non-patent legal areas in order to identify other issues and work with the firm's other practices to serve client needs.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial person with a great team attitude and an aptitude for learning new and complex technologies. We are looking for a driven and focused attorney who is ready and willing to be a part of multiple internal teams consisting of one or more patent attorneys, technical specialists, project managers and paralegals.
GTC's patent prosecution and strategy practice is comprised of accomplished lawyers, technologists and entrepreneurs who operate in a unique, virtual and IP-centric environment. Notwithstanding the firm’s decentralized nature, candidates for this position must be located in or around: Michigan or Pittsburgh, PA
- 5+ years of direct experience drafting and prosecuting a high-number of patent applications in a law firm and/or corporate setting
- Direct experience working on, or being responsible for, large inter-related patent portfolios
- Experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the automotive field, including engine diagnostics, control systems, valve train parts, systems and assemblies, other automotive part manufacturing methods
- High level of comfort performing all aspects of prosecuting patent applications before the USPTO, including drafting applications, responding to office actions, and interviewing patent examiners
- Current and well versed in U.S. patent law with strong knowledge of the AIA
- Significant experience with all, or a majority of, the following:
- managing multiple active patent portfolios, domestically and internationally
- representing both start-up and mature companies, as well as licensees of university-owned patents
- preparing and prosecuting many inter-related patent applications
- filing procedures and formalities
- providing litigation support and prosecuting existing patent applications
- filing PCT applications and working with foreign counsel to prosecute foreign patent applications
- project and budget management of large patent portfolios
- preparing design guidance, non-infringement, and invalidity opinions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Liaising and dealing directly with clients and/or responsible business teams
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team setting
- Experience working remotely
- Must be willing to travel occasionally
- USPTO Registration
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
- Experience in administrative patent proceedings such as Reexaminations, Interference and Derivation proceedings, Inter Partes Review, Post Grant Review, including administrative appeals related to any of the above
- Experience preparing and prosecuting design and utility patent applications
- Experience with the management of patent and trademark docketing software, recordkeeping, office and file management procedures
- An entrepreneurial spirit
Personal Attributes Sought:
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results orientation
- Collaborative style and a strong personal commitment to teamwork
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well at all levels of the organization
- High comfort level with work in a “virtual” environment and eagerness to build relationships and serve and manage personnel at remote locations
If you are interested in this opportunity and your qualifications meet our requirements, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Michigan or Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
GTC Law Group LLP (the “firm” or “GTC”) specializes in Intellectual Property Strategy, Mergers & Acquisitions and Business & Technology Transactions for IP-centric companies and institutions worldwide. GTC is a Massachusetts-based law firm headquartered in Westwood, Massachusetts, with an office in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and an affiliated entity in Toronto, Canada. In addition, GTC has attorneys and other personnel working in several cities on a “virtual” office model in which many personnel work from home offices.