Hewlett-Packard Company has an opening for a Patent Counsel. Preferred locations for this position are Herndon, Virginia; Houston or Plano, Texas; Palo Alto, California; Downers Grove, Illinois; Berkeley Heights, New Jersey; Vancouver, Washington; and Boise, Idaho.
The Patent Development Group in HP's Office of the General Counsel (OGC) manages one of the largest patent portfolios in the world, which covers a wide range of technologies including PCs, printers, servers, storage, networking, enterprise software, enterprise services, and technologies originating in HP Labs. The successful candidate for the Patent Counsel position will support the Patent Development Group's efforts to build and maintain a high quality patent portfolio that furthers the goals of HP's dynamic business. In particular, the successful candidate will be responsible for personally drafting and prosecuting strategic, high quality patent applications, while supporting the department in a number of other activities critical for its success. This position will offer significant promotional opportunities throughout the OGC and the chance to build a career with HP as an IP attorney.
The successful candidate's responsibilities in the Patent Counsel role are expected to include the following:
- Managing highly strategic patent applications throughout the patent lifecycle by collaborating directly with colleagues in HP's inventor community, personally drafting and prosecuting high quality patent applications for strategically important inventions, and interacting with worldwide patent offices to secure valuable patent coverage
- Actively participating in HP's invention disclosure review process to help ensure that HP's best inventions are identified and patented
- Analyzing pending patent applications to determine their value to HP and to formulate a global filing strategy
- Assisting patent portfolio managers with analysis of HP's patent portfolio, including preparation of claim charts
- Actively engaging in training, knowledge sharing, and other career development opportunities to hone technical and legal abilities and prepare for promotional opportunities
- Participating from time to time as a member of a cross functional team to provide support in licensing, litigation, or other matters
- Travel is in accordance with business needs and should be less than 5% of the time, most typically to other HP locations in the U.S.
The successful candidate is expected to possess the following qualifications and abilities:
- A BS degree and/or advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science
- A JD degree from an accredited university and admission to a state bar
- Admission to the USPTO
- 1-6 years experience as a patent attorney
- Strong academic credentials
- Preference for candidates who have personally drafted at least 10 patent applications
- Ability to work with clients in a team-oriented partnership to help them arrive at elegant solutions to their problems
- Flexibility to accept new and different challenges in a fast paced, high tech environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- A positive attitude, creative spirit, passion for IP law, and strong motivation to excel
Apply by emailing Robbin Falcone at: to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach a resume, cover letter, and a recent writing sample, such as a published patent application and/or published Office Action response.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Herndon, Virginia; Houston or Plano, Texas; Palo Alto, California; Downers Grove, Illinois; Berkeley Heights, New Jersey; Vancouver, Washington; and Boise, Idaho
HP is an innovative, dynamic company with a rich past and a promising future. Started in a Palo Alto garage by Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard as a company that made audio frequency oscillators, HP has continuously reinvented itself. Today, HP is one of the world's leading technology companies and provides printing and personal computing products, IT and Cloud services, and hardware and software solutions for the next generation of IT infrastructure.