Practical Law US, a Thomson Reuters legal solution, is looking for a Patent Prosecution Editor to join our Intellectual Property & Technology Service and who will:
- Develop ideas for patent prosecution content to be published on Practical Law’s online services.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external law firm contributors providing patent prosecution resources.
- Draft, write, and edit patent prosecution resources, including standard form documents, practice guidance notes and checklists in accordance with Practical Law writing style.
- Write and edit content for Practical Law Company's companion magazine, Practical Law The Journal.
- Develop relationships with law firm attorneys, in-house counsel and industry groups to ensure that the patent prosecution content is topical and meets their needs.
- Assist sales team by participating in sales calls and demonstrating service to potential subscribers.
- Assist marketing team by participating in webinars and creation of educational programs.
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- • J.D. required
- Minimum of eight years’ experience practicing before the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), whether in a law firm or corporate law department, with expertise in global patent acquisition, maintenance and portfolio management. Current member in good standing of the bar of the USPTO. Must have drafted, filed and prosecuted at least 50 original patent applications.
- Enthusiasm and ambition, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services.
- A good understanding of the needs and priorities of law firm and in-house counsel and the legal market.
- A passion for writing and good editing skills, including:
- very close attention to detail;
- impressive command of grammar, punctuation and plain English;
- strong technical drafting skills; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
- Expertise in all aspects of global patent prosecution, practice and procedure is required, optimally including:
- drafting basic patent prosecution documents, such as applications, office action responses, declarations, affidavits, petitions, and appeal briefs;
- maximizing patent protection through continuation practice, patent term adjustment and extension, and effective use of provisional applications;
- post-patent-issuance procedures, including reissue application, ex parte reexamination, interference and other Patent Trial and Appeal Board practice and procedure;
- thorough understanding of all current USPTO initiatives; and
- global patent portfolio management.
Expertise with design patents, Patent Cooperation Treaty, European, Japanese or Chinese patent practice and procedure, and freedom to operate investigations and opinions would be helpful.
*This role may be located in a home office if candidate is not near a Thomson Reuters facility.
**Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to submit a writing sample.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com. More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
To apply, email Courtney Hauboldt at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Remote (Work From Home)