Whirlpool Corporation is currently seeking a highly qualified Intellectual Property Attorney to be an integral part of the Whirlpool Law Department. If you enjoy a challenge and the opportunity to have an impact on company success, consider a career at Whirlpool. Bring your ideas, enthusiasm and passion to a place where you can make a difference.
Currently, we are seeking qualified candidates for a Legal Counsel opening in our Patent Operations group within the Law Department. Our Patent Operations team of eleven includes attorneys, patent agents, legal specialists and an administrative assistant. We are a group that enjoys working together in a collegial environment.
This position will be responsible for providing legal counsel and services on matters involving patents, copyrights, trade secrets and other proprietary information. This position supports Whirlpool’s global product organization, including its advanced development and product engineering groups.
In this position, you'll have the opportunity to:
- Advise on intellectual property issues involving patents, copyrights, trade secrets, and proprietary information. Specifically, you will help ensure Whirlpool’s unique and compelling innovations are a core driver of Whirlpool’s success. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Developing and executing patent strategies related to assigned Whirlpool technology areas.
- Reviewing inventions and advising on patentability issues and arranging for the filing and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications.
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications.
- Establishing product clearance plans and reviewing and advising on patent infringement risks.
- Supporting various innovation generation activities such as invention workshops to target development of strategic intellectual property.
- Providing intellectual property advice and training to clients.
- Drafting and assisting in the negotiation and administration of intellectual property related contracts, including confidentiality, development and license agreements, as well as assisting in negotiation of more general commercial agreements, including procurement and various service agreements.
- Investigating and pursuing patent infringement and enforcement opportunities, including patent litigation.
- Providing patent support for special projects.
- Researching intellectual property issues relevant to the company’s business.
What you need to succeed in this position:
- JD from an accredited law school, with strong academic credentials and Bar Admission, and admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Technical bachelor degree, preferably electrical or mechanical engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of legal experience as an attorney. Experience in patent preparation, prosecution, IP transactions (e.g., development and licensing agreements), product clearance, and patent litigation is highly desirable.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a large volume of concurrent projects.
- Strong analytical, research, organization and management skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication (both written and oral) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results as a leader or member of a cross functional team.
- Ability to provide strong strategic thought to Whirlpool’s patent processes.
This position requires execution of Whirlpool’s Non-Disclosure and Non-Competition Agreement.
Whirlpool is great place to work. We offer challenging opportunities, ownership of your role, great teams, and tools to build your capability. In our performance-based setting, you can take your career in exciting new directions—and as far as you want to go.
Apply online by visiting this link: https://whirlpool.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?job=244817.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan
Whirlpool is the industry leader in the manufacturing and marketing of home appliances. Whirlpool is a global company and markets Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Baucknecht and other major brand names in more than 170 countries around the world.
Whirlpool is a company that creates innovative solutions and products to meet consumer needs. As a result, Whirlpool has been recognized as one of the world's 100 most innovative companies by Business Week magazine and the Boston Consulting Group. Additionally, Whirlpool Corporation was ranked among the Top 10 Innovators in Consumer Products by The Patent Board and has been consistently ranked as one of the Top 20 Companies for Leaders by Hewitt Associates and Fortune magazine.
Whirlpool’s unique business strategy provides it with an unmatched leadership position and ability to build and sustain loyalty to Whirlpool’s brands.