Gilead Sciences is seeking a Corporate Counsel II - Intellectual Property - Patent Litigation. This position reports to the Senior Counsel - Patent Litigation and will be responsible for assisting with the global defense of Gilead’s patent portfolio. The title will depend upon the candidate’s years of relevant experience. Specific responsibilities will include assisting with patent litigation in the U.S. and foreign countries, providing support in global opposition, invalidation and revocation proceedings and handling a small docket of patent application preparation and prosecution. The position may occasionally be called upon to assist the department in managing work load by undertaking additional activities as needed to support the IP interests of the company. The position may also occasionally be engaged in activities designed to improve departmental processes and procedures as requested by the Senior Counsel - Patent Litigation and/or the VP Intellectual Property.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
• Actively participate in litigation teams by assisting with overall litigation strategy, interviewing fact and expert witnesses, collaborating with outside counsel for the preparation of witnesses for deposition and attending same, collaborating with outside counsel in the selection and preparation of expert testimony
• Assist in internal document collection and production
• Assist in reviewing correspondence, arguments, memos, and briefs in support of litigation
• Assist in providing instruction to local counsel in foreign litigation matters and coordination of consistent positions across various countries
• Assist with the preparation of comprehensive patent portfolio summary documents and conducting patent portfolio reviews
• Contribute to the development of strategy and arguments related to global opposition, invalidation and revocation proceedings;
• Assist in the evaluation of Gilead’s patent portfolio in advance of litigation and engage in the activities to maximize the strength of same;
• On occasion, conduct or assist in freedom-to-operate, validity and due diligence analysis and prepare opinions regarding same; and
• Collaborating and assisting other IP department professionals to secure patents for Gilead inventions world-wide
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
• Bachelors degree in biology, chemistry, pharmacy or other related life sciences degree.
• Juris Doctorate and admission to at least one State Bar.
• USPTO Registration
• Experience: From 5-8 years of relevant experience which will include a broad range of activities including patent drafting and prosecution, due diligence, opinion work, and patent litigation. At least 2 years of experience in patent litigation is required and particularly those with experience in Hatch-Waxman litigation are preferred.
• This position requires demonstration of Gilead’s core values: Teamwork, Accountability, Excellence and Integrity
• This position requires working within a team extensively and accordingly, the ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with others is absolutely critical. You must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of different personalities to be successful in this role.
• This is an “in-office” position. While occasional, reasonable requests for telecommuting will be accommodated, a regular out-of-office telecommute schedule is not Gilead’s policy and is not a viable option for this position.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are necessary, including the ability to speak and write clearly and concisely.
• The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter and will be given increasing responsibility. The ability to competently carry-out and follow through on directives and to learn quickly is expected.
• The candidate is expected to be proficient at applying legal analysis in a business context.
• Demonstrating the ability to independently identify issues, goals, needs and solutions will be key for future success.
• The ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment is critical.
• The candidate must be proficient in MS Office-based applications.
• Travel Requirements: Business trips within the U.S. and occasionally abroad associated with litigation-related activities will be required, typically not exceeding 15% annually.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today by visiting this link: https://www.gilead.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=10212&CurrentPage=1.
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: Foster City, California
Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide. Headquartered in Foster City, California, Gilead has operations in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia.