Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE), the largest U.S. options exchange and creator of listed options, continues to set the bar for options trading through product innovation, trading technology and investor education. We are looking for an Associate Intellectual Property Counsel.
Assist in protecting CBOE's intellectual property (IP) by providing legal support and litigation assistance relating primarily to patent, copyright, and trademark matters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Performs a combination of the following duties according to departmental guidelines:
• Prepare and prosecute patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
• Prepare and prosecute trademark applications before the USPTO.
• Register copyrights with the U.S. Copyright Office.
• Perform and report on patentability and freedom-to-operate patent searches.
• Attend meetings of staff and committees involved in matters having intellectual property aspects.
• Assist in managing outside counsel work on IP litigation and other IP matters.
• May work on IP licenses.
• Assist in implementing IP related policies and processes. Advise and educate staff on IP legal issues.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• 2-5 or more years’ experience as a practicing attorney in patent and other intellectual property matters. Experience in patent application preparation and prosecution. Experience in business method/computer art applications.
• Licensed to practice in Illinois, member of the Illinois Bar, and registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of:
• Patent and intellectual property field's concepts, practices, and procedures.
• General securities industry, financial markets and/or derivatives markets- preferred.
• Intermediate level skills in:
• Legal research and analysis, and electronic legal research software tools
• MS Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint). VISIO is strongly preferred.
• convey complex ideas or concepts clearly in written form; develop communications related to unique or non-recurring issues which effectively inform, influence or compel; tailor tone or style of writing in relation to needs of different audiences; evaluate documents and proofread/edit for structure, clarity, syntax, grammar, spelling and punctuation.
• organize and prioritize tasks and work assignments; complete multiple tasks simultaneously with accuracy and quality; adjust to changes in priorities and situations; meet deadlines.
• interact in a professional manner with internal and external contacts; use tact and diplomacy; maintain confidentiality; appropriately handle and communicate controversial or sensitive information.
• work cooperatively in group situations; offer assistance and support to co-workers; balance team and individual responsibilities; exhibit objectivity and openness to others' views; give and welcome feedback.
• organize and express ideas clearly and understandably when speaking to individuals or groups; use professional grammar and word choice; listen to others and respond appropriately.
• evaluate, analyze, and summarize data and facts; establish logical connections; form sound decisions based on analysis.
• Bachelors degree in computer science or electrical engineering (or equivalent work experience). JD degree.
To apply for this job, visit: https://rn12.ultipro.com/CHI1009/jobboard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__JobID=405 or apply via our website, http://www.cboe.com/AboutCBOE/Careers.aspx.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Chicago, Illinois
CBOE is committed to continue to develop innovative products, to deliver quality service and to enhance our trading technology. CBOE has developed a unique Hybrid market model - a composite of the most valuable aspects of screen-based and floor-based trading environments - which offers our customers greater liquidity and instantaneous point-and-click order execution, while still preserving the benefits of trading through open outcry.
The opportunity to work at an industry leader with a dynamic environment that offers technical challenges like no other is just one reason to choose CBOE.
At CBOE you'll find rewarding work as well as outstanding benefits, some of which include: a business casual dress environment, comprehensive medical and dental plans, tuition assistance, 401(k) plan with a $2 for $1 match and a transit voucher program for commuting expenses.
CBOE is conveniently located in the heart of Chicago's downtown financial district and easily accessible by public transportation and commuter train lines