Illumina is seeking a Senior Patent Agent to manage the continued development and implementation of patent strategy. Identifies and pursues valuable intellectual property generated in a dynamic research and development environment. Conducts patent freedom to operate analyses and due diligence analyses.
Why is one person more likely to develop a disease—like cancer, diabetes or Parkinson’s—than someone else? Why would one person respond differently to treatment than another? Illumina’s technologies are helping researchers around the world to answer these questions and others, on a scale not even possible a few years ago.
Illumina is the only life sciences company developing genome-wide technologies for genotyping, gene expression and sequencing—the three cornerstones of modern genetic analysis. By enabling studies of thousands of patient samples at once, our products set genetic discovery on fast forward. And we’re just getting started.
• Responsible for pre-patent filing review, providing advice to the company concerning the patent viability of its inventions and the advisability of filing patent applications covering the company’s inventions.
• Has an in-depth, working knowledge of patent prosecution including preparation of patent applications and filing of all papers relating to patent prosecution.
• Patent prosecution responsibilities include carrying out in-house prosecution and managing the prosecution efforts of outside counsel.
• Assists product development teams in evaluating freedom to operate.
• Initiates and interprets patentability searches.
• Prepares analyses of patents in regard to infringement and validity.
• Provides assistance in regard to intellectual property aspects of contracts and agreements.
• Collects and maintains data relating to the competitive patent landscape.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Preferred Educational Background:
• Undergraduate technical degree required.
• Advanced technical degree (Masters or Doctorate) strongly preferred.
• Patent Registration Number required.
Preferred Experiential Background:
• 4+ years of patent prosecution experience required.
• Experience in a law firm providing patent prosecution services preferred.
• Experience with patent appeals, re-examination, re-issue, and interference proceedings is a plus.
• Practical experience in engineering or related field is strongly preferred.
Apply online by visiting www.illumina.com/careers. When you join the high-performing team at Illumina, your work takes on new meaning—to an exponential degree. Our growth, our positive culture, and the impact our products are having in the world ignite a passion that drives our people forward. And together, we accomplish beyond expectations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: San Diego, California