Solazyme is searching for a Director/Sr. Director of Intellectual Property to join our legal team. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in biotechnology patent law.
In-house experience with a rapidly growing IP portfolio is required. Reporting to the General Counsel, this position will be an essential part of our legal staff and will play a key role in the management and strategic development of the company’s IP portfolio.
The position will involve day-to-day management of the creation of new patent applications as well as the management of ongoing patent prosecution and strategic development of the portfolio.
Other important responsibilities will involve working with the business unit teams and technology teams to seamlessly translate raw technical data into patent filings that best meet the needs of the business objectives. Implementation of procedures and mechanisms for efficient collection and assessment of technical data and new inventions is another aspect of the position.
Experience with contracts such as licensing agreements, material transfer agreements, and joint development agreements that involve disposition of IP is preferred.
• 10-12 years of experience working on biotechnology patent prosecution
• Demonstrated experience managing strategic development of a patent portfolio
• Licensing and contract experience is a plus
• In-house experience at a biotechnology company preferred
• PhD in a biological science highly preferred
• J.D. from an accredited law school• Registration with USPTO
• Participate in setting and implementing the strategic development of the IP portfolio
• Oversee the preparation, drafting and filing of patent applications, trademarks and copyrights
• Review publications and presentations regarding IP
• Evaluate competitors’ patents; perform FTO analyses
• Manage patent prosecution matters
• Synchronize new patent filings and prosecution with evolving business strategies
• Closely coordinate with research and process development project leaders
• Manage flow of invention disclosures
• Participate in creation and negotiation of contracts involving IP
This position comes with a competitive compensation and benefits package, 401k, and pre-IPO equity participation.
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: San Francisco, California
Solazyme is a renewable oil production firm. We are the leader in algal biotechnology, harnessing the power of microalgae to renewably produce clean and scalable fuels, chemicals, food oils and health and wellness materials. We are the only company in the world that has scaled up clean and renewable production of diesel and jet fuel derived from microalgae. We are Ranked as one of the Best Green Tech Companies in the U.S.