The Notre Dame Law School invites applications for the position of Director of its new Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Clinic. The position will begin for the 2011-2012 academic year.
When it is fully implemented, the Clinic will provide students opportunities to work as lawyers to meet the intellectual property and entrepreneurship-related needs of the Clinic’s clients. The Clinic will have a transactional focus and particularly will assist clients with, among other matters, entity formation, licensing and/or freedom to operate agreements, trademark counseling and prosecution, and patent preparation and prosecution. Specific client matters will be determined by the Clinic Director, although decisions about the overall direction of the Clinic’s work will be made in consultation with the Dean and other law school faculty members.
As with other clinics at the Notre Dame Law School, students enrolled in the Clinic (typically not more than 8 students at a time) will spend an entire semester (approximately 14 weeks) enrolled with the clinic for law school credit.
Duties of the Director of the Clinic will include:
· Developing the clinic’s operating plan;
· Directly supervising law students;
· Identifying and developing clients;
· Managing all projects and clients;
· Developing the curriculum;
· Teaching the clinical offering during both semesters of each academic year
· Collaborating with clinical and other faculty at the Law School;
· Attending conferences and interacting with faculty at other institutions;
· Assisting in the development of additional resources;
· Acting as liaison with the public and the Law School community.
The initial appointment as Director of the Clinic will be for a 3 year term, during which the successful candidate will be expected to design and implement the clinical program and work with the Dean to secure permanent funding for the position. The initial Director may then be considered for a position with the same clinical faculty status as all other law school clinicians.
We seek candidates with the following qualifications:
· Distinguished relevant experience, particularly extensive transactional experience. We
expect the successful candidate to have at least 7 years experience as a lawyer, though
slightly less experience may suffice in exceptional circumstances;
· Experience and ability to direct large projects;
· Ability to work in a self-directed and entrepreneurial environment;
· Excellent writing and analytic skills;
· Demonstrated excellence in clinical teaching (or the supervision of law students) or
demonstrated potential for such excellence in teaching or supervision;
· An academic record that demonstrates the capacity to be an active participant in the Law
School’s academic community, and in the national intellectual property and clinicaleducation
· Membership in the Indiana State Bar, or a willingness to take the necessary steps to
become admitted in Indiana within one year of the commencement of employment.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter
and resume. Electronic submission is preferred.
Chair of IP/Entrepreneurship Clinic Committee
Notre Dame Law School
P.O. Box 780
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Employer Type: Educational
Job Location: Notre Dame, Indiana