Gilead Sciences is seeking a Director, Intellectual Property to work in its Foster City, California headquarters. The person reports to the Head of Patent Litigation and will be responsible for assisting with the global defense of Gilead’s product patent portfolio. Specific responsibilities will include assisting with patent litigation in the U.S. and foreign countries, conducting and reporting due diligence analysis, providing support in global opposition, invalidation and revocation proceedings and handling a small docket of patent application preparation and prosecution. This is a director level position that provides the successful candidate with the opportunity to work on a wide range of IP issues around the world in a growth-oriented pharmaceutical company.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
• Conduct IP due diligence for in-licensing and acquisition opportunities in a variety of therapeutic areas
• Actively participate in litigations teams by assisting with interviewing fact and expert witnesses, collaborating with outside counsel for the preparation of witnesses for deposition and attending same, collaborating with outside counsel in the selection and preparation of expert testimony
• Assisting in internal document collection and production
• Assist in reviewing correspondence, arguments, memos, and briefs in support of litigation
• Assist in providing instruction to local counsel in foreign litigation matters
• Assisting with the preparation of comprehensive patent portfolio summary documents and conducting patent portfolio reviews
• Assisting in the development of strategy and arguments related to global opposition, invalidation and revocation proceedings
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
• Bachelors degree in biology, chemistry, or related field.
• Juris Doctorate and admitted to at least one State Bar, preferably California
• USPTO Registration
• Experience: At least 8 years of relevant experience which will include a broad range of activities including patent drafting and prosecution, due diligence, opinion work, and patent litigation. Preference will be given to applicants who have at least 2 years of experience in patent litigation and particularly those with experience in ANDA (Hatch-Waxman) litigation. Preferred candidates will have both law firm and in-house experience.
• This position requires working within a team extensively and accordingly, the ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with others is absolutely critical. Candidates must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of different personalities to be successful in this role.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are necessary, including the ability to fluently speak, write and understand English.
• The successful candidate will be given increasing responsibility. Accordingly, the ability to competently carry-out and follow through on directives, to learn quickly and apply legal analysis in a business context, and the ability to work independently to identify issues, goals and needs and identify solutions will be key for future success.
• The ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment is critical.
• The candidate must be proficient in MS Office-based applications.
• Travel Requirements: Business trips within the U.S. and occasionally abroad, common with litigation-related activities will be required.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Apply online today at www.gilead.com.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Foster City, California
Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide. Headquartered in Foster City, California, Gilead has operations in North America, Europe and Australia.