Harman International is seeking a patent attorney with strong patent prosecution experience. The ideal candidate will be skilled at drafting and prosecuting patent applications (both US and foreign originating), identifying patentable subject matter, harvesting invention disclosures, collaborating with both engineering and business unit executive management to develop and execute patent prosecution strategies, working well in a team-oriented environment, coordinating with foreign counsel and supervising external patent counsel and internal patent personnel. Experience with IP licensing, litigation and patentability and freedom to operate studies/activities is a plus.
• Interfacing regularly with engineers to identify patentable subject matter.
• Drafting and prosecuting patent applications for a global patent portfolio (significant portion of the role).
• Collaboration with engineering and business unit executive management.
• Supervising patent counsel, patent attorneys and paralegals.
• Ability to assist with developing US and overseas patent strategy.
• Working with the IP leadership team to determine appropriate freedom to operate/patentability strategies.
• One needs at least 8 years experience with patent prosecution.
• Member of a state bar.
• Admitted to practice before the USPTO.
• Technical background in electrical engineering, physics, computer science, or mechanical engineering. Technical knowledge of audio components and acoustics a plus.
• Substantial experience in domestic and foreign patent prosecution.
• Excellent English written and oral communications skills.
• Willingness and ability to engage in extensive traveling (Harman has engineering centers throughout the world).
• Ability to multi-task and collaborate (in writing and verbally) across all levels of the organization.
• Large IP law firm experience preferred; in-house experience is a plus.
• IP licensing.
• Developing and overseeing IP litigation and pre-litigation strategies.
• Experience supporting patent litigation.
• Willingness to travel 35%+ of the time.
• Willingness to work in an office in Farmington Hills, Michigan.
• Willingness to submit to a background screen and a drug test.
Apply online by visitng the careers section of our website: http://www.harman.com/Careers/Pages/Welcome.aspx.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
Harman International Industries, Incorporated (Harman International) is engaged in the development, manufacture and marketing of high-fidelity audio products and electronic systems. The Company has developed, both internally and through a series of acquisitions, a range of product offerings. It operates in three segments: Lifestyle, Infotainment and Professional. The Lifestyle segment designs, manufactures and markets audio systems for vehicle applications primarily to be installed as original equipment by automotive manufacturers as well as audio, video and electronic systems for home, mobile and multimedia applications. The Infotainment segment manufactures and markets infotainment systems for vehicles applications primarily to be installed as original equipment by automotive manufacturers. The Professional segment designs, manufactures and markets loudspeakers and electronic systems used by audio professionals in concert halls, stadiums, airports, houses of worship and theme attractions.