Solazyme has an opportunity available in our Intellectual Property Department for a Patent Agent to support Solazyme's legal efforts and business needs The successful candidate will be involved in all phases of patent preparations and filings.
The Patent Agent will focus on patent application preparation and prosecution, both foreign and domestic, and prior art reviews and analysis to assess novelty and freedom to operate issues. Coordinates with inventors and others to keep them informed as to the status of pending intellectual property matters.
Essential job functions for this position include, but are not limited to:
• Prepares drafts of patent applications and documents related to patent applications, which include conducting background searches and searches for similar inventions; drafting the specifications and figures and providing technical expertise throughout the application process.
• Analyze and prepare responses to patent office actions and prior art cited by the USPTO and foreign patent offices.
• Provides complex, substantive and organizational support in the patent area.
• Assists in the compliance with Solazyme’s intellectual property policies.
• Conducts prior art searches and assists with patentability, freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, including the cataloging and maintaining of results in an organized and accessible fashion.
• Assists in the review and approval of publications/presentations to prevent disclosure of confidential information.
• Assists attorneys in patent litigation matters.
• Registered to practice before the USPTO
• Ph.D. in Biological Sciences highly preferred.
• Three to five years of patent prosecution experience is required
• Technical and analytical skills necessary to conduct complex and detailed analysis of patent-related matters.
• Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with a diverse group of researchers, engineers, and attorneys.
• Self-starter, highly organized and detail oriented.
• Excellent language, grammar and writing skills.
• Ability to work with minimal direction and supervision.
• Proficient in MS Office Suite and other routinely used software packages
The method for applying for this vacancy is online via the Solazyme’s home page at www.solazyme.com and proceed to the Career Page. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Solazyme is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: San Francisco, California
Solazyme, Inc. is the leading renewable oils and bio-products company. We use algal biotechnology to renewably produce clean and scalable fuels, chemical, foods and health science products. Solazyme’s advanced and proprietary technology uses algae to produce oils and biomaterials in standard fermentation facilities quickly, cleanly, cost effectively and at large scale.