GTC Law Group LLP has a thriving patent strategy and patent prosecution practice and is seeking a highly experienced patent attorney having extensive experience in both the preparation and prosecution of patent applications and the management of large, strategically-developed portfolios. In addition, as part of management of various client portfolios, the attorney will supervise multiple internal teams consisting of one or more patent prosecutors, technical specialists, project managers and paralegals.
In addition to supervising the team for preparation and prosecution, the attorney must absorb the subject matter and strategy for the existing portfolio and ensure that all preparation and prosecution is executed in a manner consistent with the strategy. The attorney must also be generally proficient in other non-patent legal areas in order to identify other issues and work with the firm's non-patent practices to serve client needs.
The firm's patent prosecution practice is comprised of accomplished lawyers, technologists and entrepreneurs who operate in a unique, virtual and IP-centric environment. Notwithstanding the firm’s decentralized nature, the following locations are preferred for this position: Pittsburgh, PA, Boston, MA and Washington D.C.
- 7+ years as a practicing registered patent attorney, with at least 4 of such years in a law firm
- Extensive experience drafting and filing patent applications
- Demonstrated experience as lead counsel for the prosecution of large, subject-matter/priority linked patent applications
- Demonstrated experience simultaneously managing multiple active client portfolios, domestically and internationally
- Extensive experience with filing procedures and formalities
- Excellent written and oral expression
- Extensive experience as lead and primary contact for clients
- Experience representing both early stage and mature companies
- Strong team leadership skills
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing teams of associates, technical specialists and paralegals
- A background preparing and prosecuting applications in one or more of the following technical areas: electrical engineering; computer hardware, software, and architecture; e-commerce; medical devices; imaging; automotive systems and/or mechanics; mechanical and electromechanical
- Must be willing to work remotely, and manage remote teams of personnel
- Must be willing to travel
Additional Beneficial Experience
- Patent litigation or litigation support experience
- Experience in administrative patent proceedings such as Reexaminations, Interference and Derivation proceedings, Inter Partes Review, Post Grant Review, including administrative appeals related to any of the above
- Experience with the management of patent and trademark docketing software, recordkeeping, office and file management procedures
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results orientation
- Collaborative style and a strong personal commitment to teamwork
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well at all levels of the organization
- High comfort level with work in a “virtual” environment and eagerness to build relationships and serve and manage personnel at remote locations
If you are interested in this opportunity and your qualifications match the above, please send your resume and cover letter to Jillian Couling at email@example.com. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Boston, Massachusetts; and Washington D.C.