Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Patent Agent through December 14, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time) in Houston, Texas.
- Leads Chevron Business Units in developing an Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio, and in particular a patent portfolio, that provides competitive advantage for Chevron while maintaining Intellectual Property risk mitigation practices to substantially reduce the risk to Chevron's businesses. Collaborates with department-level Intellectual Property managers and coordinators in partnership with Chevron IP attorneys to design, adapt and deploy processes that will ensure appropriate management of Chevron's intellectual property.
- Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Maintains knowledge of Chevron's patent portfolio and of competitors' patenting activities in connection with one or more selected technologies such as:
- Exploration – Geoscience, including seismic data interpretation and imaging
- Supports (in some instances may include organizing and leading) regular invention disclosure review meetings with the relevant business.
- Exercises and maintains authoritative technical knowledge of Chevron technologies for assigned technology area(s).
- Develops and implements Intellectual Property Strategies for managing Chevron innovations, intellectual property portfolios, and trade secrets for assigned technology area(s).
- Maintains an understanding of third party patents relevant to Chevron's businesses and assists IP attorneys with freedom-to-operate studies.
- Leads and organizes efforts to identify inventions and develop invention disclosures. Assists inventors with the writing and submittal of invention disclosures, instructs inventors in legal requirements for a patentable invention and advises on research data needed to support patentability of Chevron inventions.
- Critically reviews and evaluates Chevron invention disclosures. Performs technical analysis of Chevron's inventions and conducts, directs and evaluates patentability searches.
- Exercises knowledge of U.S. and foreign patent laws and procedures.
- Independently prepares Chevron patent applications and prosecutes U.S. and foreign patent applications to maximize protection and value for Chevron inventions.
- Provides technical reviews and support for freedom-to-operate assessments, IP enforcement matters, and external publications.
- Initiates and maintains effective communications with researchers, business leaders and legal colleagues.
- Leads, organizes and/or supports patent committee meetings to facilitate portfolio management.
- Assists with the collection of patent filing statistics and other department metrics to assess performance of IP Legal support.
- Works well with teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor's degree in physics, the geosciences or comparable scientific discipline.
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office in 2011 or earlier.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in patent drafting and prosecution activities, preferably in a law firm environment.
- Advanced degree in physics, the geosciences or comparable scientific discipline.
- Substantial experience in drafting and prosecuting applications directed to inventions in the seismic data interpretation and/or imaging.
- Relocation will be considered within Chevron parameters.
- International Considerations:
- Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
- Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Please use this link to apply online: https://www.chevron.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=42545&CurrentPage=1.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Houston, Texas