The Office of Research and Development at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking an Intellectual Property Officer to join the Technology Transfer team. The Intellectual Property Officer maintains and grows the University’s intellectual property portfolio, with particular emphasis on patent application preparation and prosecution to obtain patents for inventions and discoveries that have potential market value. The position evaluates scientific invention disclosures and conducts research, analysis and documentation of related patents, and writes patent applications. The IP Officer functions as part of interdisciplinary team that assures the University optimizes and protects its intellectual property assets. Fosters and promotes relationships between faculty researchers and Technology Commercialization.
- Prepares and drafts patent applications, including detailed descriptions of the technology, for submission in compliance with U.S. patent law. Evaluates invention disclosures and advises management for patentability and/or commercial viability.
- Collaboratively interacts with University researchers to obtain new invention disclosures, draft patent applications, and provide general education in the patent process.
- Advance patents through federal agency's examination process to ensure approval. Research reasons for rejection if application is denied. Work with internal departments to make changes necessary to receive patents.
- Researches and documents scientific and patent law rationale for UMB inventions. Keeps abreast of policy and practice changes, and implements changes as necessary.
- Interfaces with technology offices at the University and corporate research partners.
- Perform other related duties as assigned such as assisting attorneys with patent license negotiations.
- Master’s degree in a Life Science or Engineering field, OR Bachelor’s degree in a Life Science or Engineering field AND a degree in law (JD).
- Two years’ experience working with patent law and intellectual property, preferably in engineering or life science fields.
- Registration with the United States Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) strongly preferred. Education and experience in chemistry preferred.
- Financial disclosure is required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of moderately complex project science to meet the agreement needs of the University and third-party sponsors. Knowledge of relevant federal, state, local and relevant campus laws, regulations and programs/policies. Able to perform position in compliance with all requirements, regulations, and laws. Knowledge of new technologies; ability to recognize emerging trends. Ability to apply knowledge broadly; uses specialized knowledge and communications skills to simplify the complex.
- Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology.
- Strategic and analytical reasoning skills with ability to apply sound judgment in solving problems. Ability to prioritize ongoing and new projects and meet deadlines. Skill in continuously seeking improvement in the quality of services and processes. Ability to develop new perspectives and make reasoned arguments for an alternative course of action. Skill in proposing changes with diplomacy and tact; shows respect for the work and opinions of others.
- Excellent oral/written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills. Makes effective use of questions; uses communication skill to achieve credibility. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
To apply, please visit this link: https://umb.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=1600006A&lang=en.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Baltimore, Maryland