The University of Connecticut School of Law is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Clinical Professor of Law for its Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Law Clinic (“IP Law Clinic” or “Clinic”) located on the Law School campus in Hartford, Connecticut. This position affords a unique opportunity for an intellectual property lawyer who enjoys patent and trademark law and practice and wishes to share his or her wisdom and experience with students interested in pursuing a career in intellectual property.
This position provides a rare opportunity to teach, train and supervise law students representing real clients in an experiential learning program focusing on patent and trademark prosecution before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The position requires classroom instruction. The position further requires intensive individual or small group instruction and supervision of students handling patent client matters in a broad range of technical disciplines as well as trademark client matters. The Clinic was one of the six original law school clinics selected nationally to participate in the USPTO Law School Clinic Certification Program, under which law students are granted limited recognition to practice before that body under faculty supervision.
The UConn Law faculty includes leading scholars, experienced practitioners and internationally known experts in a wide range of fields. The school also draws dozens of adjunct faculty members from the judiciary, area corporations and non-profits, and private practice. A pioneer in the introduction of clinical training to legal education, UConn Law has more than a dozen other clinics, including an Asylum and Human Rights Clinic, a Low Income Taxpayers Clinic, criminal defense and prosecution clinics, and several other programs.
- Licensed attorney admitted to practice in Connecticut or the ability to obtain admission within one year of start date;
- Presently admitted to practice before the USPTO with a consistent and demonstrated level of trademark and patent prosecution experience throughout the past five years;
- Ability to qualify as a Patent Faculty Clinic Supervisor as well as a Trademark Faculty Clinic Supervisor pursuant to 37 CFR §11.16(c) effective June 27, 2016 (see: https://www.federalregister.
gov/articles/2016/05/27/2016- 12498/uspto-law-school-clinic- certification-program)
- Prior experience teaching in a clinical environment or in a classroom
- Enthusiasm for learning clinical pedagogy and applying it to an IP clinic
- Demonstrated willingness to keep abreast of legal developments and to continuously improve course content
- Demonstrated interest in community outreach and development of the IP clinic presence within the larger university environment
This is a full-time, 11-month non-tenure track position with a one-year initial appointment term, subject to the Law School Policy on Long Term Contracts for Non Tenure Track Faculty Teaching in Clinical Programs adopted pursuant to ABA Accreditation Standard 405(c). The anticipated start date is August 15, 2016. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply, visit https://academicjobsonline.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Hartford, Connecticut