Medtronic is seeking a Patent Counsel II to work in its Memphis offices.
Responsibilities & Requirements
- Develops and maintains intellectual property assets of the company including patent applications, trade secrets, trademarks, copyrights, licensing and research agreements, publications and intellectual property aspects of contracts and agreements.
- Prepares legal opinions and analysis of patents; reviews and drafts significant corporate legal documents. Evaluates the validity of competitors’ patents and potential company product infringement upon valid patents of competitors.
- Responsible for pre-patent filing review, providing legal advice to the company concerning the patentability of its inventions and the advisability of filing patent applications covering the company’s inventions.
- Provides other general legal advice and represents the company in matters relating to intellectual property law.
- Requires undergraduate or graduate engineering or science degree and law school (J.D.) degree, and admission to practice in at least one state.
Minimum Education Requirements
- A Juris Doctor from a recognized, accredited U.S. law school and licensed to practice in at least one state or the District of Columbia with the ability to ultimately be admitted in Tennessee; registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Must have a minimum of 4-8 years of related experience with a Bachelors or Masters degree in Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electrochemical Engineering, Material Science, Physics, or other engineering or related sciences.
- Proven ability to apply practical patent experience and render legal advice involving spinal/orthopedic and/or other medical device technology along with some Patent Litigation and Post-grant proceeding experience is preferred.
- Knowledge: Applies mastery of in-depth legal knowledge in one job family or broader intellectual property expertise in most areas of a job function. Helps set strategic direction and demonstrates global business acumen while thinking critically and making sound decisions.
- Problem Solving: Focuses on patient and customer in developing solutions to complex problems that may generate breakthrough ideas or require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity. Initiate and lead change to ensure that solutions are consistent with organization objectives.
- Discretion / Latitude: Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining deliverables of assignment. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long-term perspective, for desired results. May provide guidance about work activities to colleagues.
- Impact: Contributes to defining the direction for new products, processes, standards, or operational plans based on business strategy with a significant impact on work group results. Sets high standards, instills operational excellence, drives accountability and models ethical behavior. Failure to obtain results or erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in serious impact on business results and expenditures.
- Liaison: Frequent interaction with internal or external contacts at various organizational levels concerning ongoing intellectual property matters. Collaborates with others and creates alignment while fostering diversity and inclusion amongst partners, customers, clients and peers.
- Adhere to the Medtronic Leadership Expectations of Shape, Engage, Innovate, and Achieve.
Other Skills & Abilities
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work well under pressure and maintain positive, enthusiastic attitude
- Eagerness to learn and expand responsibilities
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment and to build strong working relationships.
- Some travel may be required.
Apply online via this link: http://jobs.medtronic.com/jobs/patent-counsel-ii-8295.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Memphis, Tennessee