AkzoNobel is looking to recruit an IP Counsel, reporting to the Director IP, Americas.
As lead counsel for one or more business in AkzoNobel, the IP Counsel is responsible for setting IP strategy and standards throughout the business and for translating innovation output to IP assets. As a partner to RD&I leadership, (s)he helps prioritize technical innovation projects and develop and implement product specific IP strategies.
More specifically, the IP Counsel is responsible for:
- Developing and implementing an IP strategy for the business
- Managing the IP portfolio and securing IP rights for the business, ensuring alignment with business priorities and advising on risk/reward scenarios
- Aligning IP policies and procedures with company standards
- Collaborating with the businesses in discovering, developing and managing new ideas and associated IP, including the drafting, filing and prosecution of patent applications and trade mark applications
- Monitoring third party IP rights that are relevant to the business strategy and file and manage oppositions
- Partnering with litigation counsel in IP litigation
- Working with other senior executives to understand business strategies and helping achieve those through strategic use of IP
- Interfacing with and providing IP-related input and support to the businesses and research groups;
- Handling transactional matters and agreements such as IP licenses, confidentiality agreements and joint development agreements.
The above activities are performed in close relationship with other (senior) IP counsels or other members of the Legal function.
- Academic degree in chemistry;
- Qualified US Patent Attorney, licensed to practise in Illinois or eligible to be licenced to practise in Illinois.
- Has experience/knowledge with IP aspects of transactional matters and is familiar with agreements such as IP licenses, confidentiality agreements, and joint development agreements;
- As experience/knowledge with federal and common law protection of trademarks and brands.
- Minimum 4 years experience as in-house patent attorney or in private practice
- Good analytical and counselling skills and sound judgment
- Good oral and written communication skills in English
Please visit this website to apply: https://akzonobel.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=160005IP&lang=en&sns_id=mailto#.V9gpDv1BivE.mailto
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Chicago, Illinois