DuPont Pioneer, located in Johnston, Iowa has an opening for an experienced U.S. Patent Agent. This is a highly visible, key role within Pioneer’s Intellectual Property group which provides an exciting opportunity to work within a team yet self-manage independence. An individual well-suited to this position must exhibit vision, integrity, commitment, leadership, self-motivation, maturity and judgment. The Pioneer Patent Agent has diverse responsibilities including U.S. patent drafting, U.S. and foreign patent prosecution, patent administrative proceedings, IP portfolio strategy, invention development, inventor education, patentability and landscape analysis.
Qualifications: In order to be qualified for this role, you must possess the following:
- B.S. degree and strong background in microbiology, biochemistry, or molecular biology;
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in drafting and/or prosecuting biotech patent applications as a Registered U.S. Patent Agent;
- Drafted and filed at least 15 priority patent applications on distinct inventions during the past 3 years;
- Capability of connecting scientific details of research projects with patentability considerations;
- Experience working with foreign associates to assist and coordinate filing and prosecution of international patent matters;
- Ability to work independently and proactively with minimal direction;
- Ability to maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or work environment and to facilitate implementation and acceptance of change within the work place;
- Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize projects and meet aggressive deadlines;
- Superior communication, influencing and networking skills;
- Outstanding writing skills as demonstrated by original writing samples of patent applications, prosecution submissions, memorandums, and other communications.
The following skill sets are preferred by the Legal function:
- Advanced (M.S. or Ph.D.) degree with focus on biochemistry, protein sciences, genetics, microbiology, or other like disciplines;
- Post-graduate R&D laboratory experience for 2 or more years;
- Some law firm experience is a plus;
- Experience with independently prosecuting large patent dockets;
- Experience with developing and implementing IP strategies, conducting freedom to-operate analyses, IP portfolio analyses, and/or landscape mapping;
- Experience in working with business and technical teams to develop IP strategies for technical programs.
To apply, please visit this website: http://careers.dupont.com/jobsearch/job-details/patent-agent/012659W-01/.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Johnston, Iowa